Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aBeanSpeaks
Level 7

YouTube won’t cast from phone to Roku

Hi! So I started having an issue where my iPhone has trouble connecting to my Roku to cast YouTube. It started after I reset all my network settings on my phone.

How it used to work was I could pull up YouTube on my phone, pull up a video, and cast it to “Broke College Kids TV.” It would pull up YouTube no matter what I was doing and play videos. I would queue up videos to watch while working on my computer. You know, intended stuff.

Now, for some reason, it can’t find the Roku and won’t cast. I have 2 wifi networks in my house. When I connect both devices to one network, the only way I can get it to cast is by having YouTube already open on Roku and selecting “YouTube on TV” in the casting options. It doesn’t list my device name, and nothing will show up unless YouTube is up on Roku, so it doesn’t automatically pull up the app when I cast. 
When I link both devices to our second network, I get the option to cast to “Broke College Kids TV” like I used to. But it won’t connect. It will just say “connecting to Broke College Kids TV” and show the little casting icon in the corner of the video searching for a signal. I could have YouTube pulled up on Roku, but it just doesn’t do anything. I have to do everything from the TV or switch networks to the one that doesn’t recognize my TV name, but can cast as long as the app is open. It’s very inconvenient. I’m not sure if this is a Roku problem or a problem with my iPhone, but I’ll take any help that can be provided. I have an up to date iPhone SE (the one with iPhone 6 internals in an iPhone 5 body, not the new one) if that helps.

7 Replies
JasonPS
Level 7

Re: YouTube won’t cast from phone to Roku

Same problem here..as of 2-3 weeks ago all of a sudden casting from ios YouTube broke. I can see my Roku tv’s and Roku box, attempt to connect, and nothing happens. The cast icon appears as if it’s trying to connect but never gets there. Spotify has no problem connecting. Not being able to cast from YouTube is a total dealbreaker. I’ve been using Roku for years and years but probably gonna go android tv. Sad.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Try these in order:

1) Make sure you have the latest YT app version (version 16.05.8 as of 2/21)

2) Disable& re-enable WiFi on the phone

3) Restart both the Roku and the phone

4) Switch the Rokus and/or phone from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz or vice versa (you should have separate SSIDs for each in order to accomplish this)

5) Reset the network connection on the Roku's and/or on the phone

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JasonPS
Level 7

Thanks for your quick reply.

I tried most of the things you suggested. The one thing I couldn't do is switch my devices from/to 2.4Ghz/5Ghz because I use Google Wifi and it doesn't seem to let me choose. So I figured somewhat that it could be the router but it didn't quite make sense because it had been working fine for years.

I don't know if this is/was the solution but most likely because everything is working great again. I'm on iOS beta 14.5 betas and I think that's the culprit. Looking back it seems that the problem occurred right around the time I installed 14.5 beta 2. I installed Beta 3 a couple nights ago, deleted and reinstalled Youtube on my phone, and now casting works flawlessly again.

So I mostly believe something broke in iOS and iOS Youtube. I just can't prove it.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@JasonPS wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply.

I tried most of the things you suggested. The one thing I couldn't do is switch my devices from/to 2.4Ghz/5Ghz because I use Google Wifi and it doesn't seem to let me choose. So I figured somewhat that it could be the router but it didn't quite make sense because it had been working fine for years.

I don't know if this is/was the solution but most likely because everything is working great again. I'm on iOS beta 14.5 betas and I think that's the culprit. Looking back it seems that the problem occurred right around the time I installed 14.5 beta 2. I installed Beta 3 a couple nights ago, deleted and reinstalled Youtube on my phone, and now casting works flawlessly again.

So I mostly believe something broke in iOS and iOS Youtube. I just can't prove it.

I think thats most likely the case - and also a reminder of the pitfalls of using beta software (things can and do break - its beta after all).

StreamerUser

Memeaddict
Level 7

I am having the same problem: the YouTube app no longer will “cast” (connect) to our Roku.

It appears the last Roku system update broke this feature, which makes it impossible for us to do Karaoke off of YouTube now.

I tried some of the troubleshooting steps recommended which didn’t solve the issue. I believe this is because it is broken on the Roku end.

Solution:

Don’t use the ‘connect over Wifi’ feature in YouTube. Instead use the ‘connect via TV code’ feature.

1) Go to your Roku and open and sign in to the YouTube app.
Go to Settings > Link with TV code > View Code

2) Open YouTube app on phone. Click the ‘cast’ button in the top right. Add new device to connect, and choose the ‘TV Code’ option. Manually type in the code shown on the TV/Projector/Roku.

Now when you click on the Cast icon in the YouTube app on the phone it will show ‘YouTube on TV’ and you’ll be able to cast videos.

Note: The means the ‘connect over wifi’ feature is completely unusable and this bug needs to be fixed by Roku. Looking back over the support requests online, this is not the first time Roku has broken the ‘cast’ feature and it appears they aren’t QA’ing this when they do new updates.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@Memeaddict wrote:

I am having the same problem: the YouTube app no longer will “cast” (connect) to our Roku.

It appears the last Roku system update broke this feature, which makes it impossible for us to do Karaoke off of YouTube now.

I tried some of the troubleshooting steps recommended which didn’t solve the issue. I believe this is because it is broken on the Roku end.

Solution:

Don’t use the ‘connect over Wifi’ feature in YouTube. Instead use the ‘connect via TV code’ feature.

1) Go to your Roku and open and sign in to the YouTube app.
Go to Settings > Link with TV code > View Code

2) Open YouTube app on phone. Click the ‘cast’ button in the top right. Add new device to connect, and choose the ‘TV Code’ option. Manually type in the code shown on the TV/Projector/Roku.

Now when you click on the Cast icon in the YouTube app on the phone it will show ‘YouTube on TV’ and you’ll be able to cast videos.

Note: The means the ‘connect over wifi’ feature is completely unusable and this bug needs to be fixed by Roku. Looking back over the support requests online, this is not the first time Roku has broken the ‘cast’ feature and it appears they aren’t QA’ing this when they do new updates.

Just as an FYI, the previous posters were specifically casting from the iOS YT app.

You didnt mention what software/YT app version your phone is using, your Roku model #/firmware version, or Roku YT app version.

However, testing firmware versions 9.4.0-4210/9.4.1-4237 and 10.0.0-4177 with both wired and wireless connections, on seven different Roku models, from 5 different Android devices and several different PCs with different Windows/Chrome/Edge versions, every YT casting session connected to every YT app on every Roku from every casting device without issue.

So, all DIAL casting protocol connections worked perfectly under the conditions described above - hardly "broken".

Furthermore, YT/Google code the YT app - on all platforms:  if there's a YT app problem, they are the first party responsible, so all app issues need to be directed to them first.

However, I might suggest also testing NetFlix - it also uses DIAL protocol, and if it fails or succeeds, that narrows/focuses the issue (app/platform/network/etc).

Of course, if you're on iOS there could be AirPlay issues at work, so you'd need to enable/disable that in your Roku (unknown model/firmware version) to narrow down that as well.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
lopew43
Level 7

yes really I am facing this issue with my YouTube I tried this solution but not working.

0 Kudos