Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RPCVaz27
Reel Rookie

YouTube videos restricted

Jump to solution

Please read this fully before responding. Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to fix this? Don’t care who’s fault it is, please don’t respond with a debate about Roku/YouTube/Google being at fault. I only care how to fix it.

I have had my Roku stick for 3+ years and have regularly watched videos with no issues in the YouTube app through Roku. Now, it will give me an error on some shows (ones like the late show with Stephen Colbert) but not others (kids stuff). It’s acting like it’s in age restriction mode, but it isn’t. I have verified I am logged in to YouTube with my account, that the app settings confirm it is not in restricted mode, and that my YouTube account itself (checked in web browser) is also not set to restricted mode. I am getting a message that reads “This video is restricted. Please check the Google Workspace administrator and/or the network administrator restrictions.” I can’t find anything or anywhere in my Google account settings that shows this type of thing, nor how to check it. I haven’t changed anything on YouTube, Google or Roku... so how do I fix this? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube videos restricted

Jump to solution

Hello @jjthejit

I hope you're doing well.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact YouTube's customer support team to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

You can reach them here: YouTube Help

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@RPCVaz27

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Youtube support here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

So, it’s not a Roku problem it’s a Google problem. So what you do is go to your Google account on your phone or computer, then go to your settings. Go to your personal information, and make sure you birthday have the year you was born. Mine didn’t have the year I was born. So If it doesn’t have the year, add the year and confirm it. It should be fixed.

MostlySalt
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube videos restricted - YOU SOLVED IT

Jump to solution

Stephen thanks for posting that real answer!   That's exactly what it was for me.  You saved me hours of frustration.

And to the rest of you who simply nitpic and flame on people...   Maybe you need to logout and take a chill pill.  The Roku platform is designed for regular people not computer experts.  For someone like that, they do not understand the differences between the Roku platform, Apps created by various sources, and how they relate to the greater ecosystems.

Let's all take a breath and try to help each other rather than yelling at them for not being exactly right in our book.  

captkeebz
Reel Rookie

YouTube Videos Will Not Play

Jump to solution

same here. age-restricted purchases from google play won't play on youtube roku app. google discontinued play app so now i can't watch these on the tv (easily)

even more reason not to use google for anything, i doubt this is a roku problem (though they're still using the screensaver play button trap for cheap clicks ruining any brand integrity they'd built)

0 Kudos
Bill_8937
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube Videos Will Not Play

Jump to solution

For anyone else having this problem, I fixed it by logging out and then logging back in to YouTube.

I read that Google made some changes to user accounts on 8/4/2021.  They made some of the accounts "branded".

As a consequence of the"simple solution I described, the "watch history" on the branded account is now not updating!   %-)     Good luck to all!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I did the logging out and signing back in, and it still won't let me watch age-restricted videos. I even uninstalled the app, restarted my Roku, and reinstalled the app. Still nothing.

0 Kudos
Bill_8937
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Crystal, 

Can you view age restricted content if you log in to YouTube directly through a laptop or desktop? If so, then it may be tough to isolate the problem.  It might be insightful if you had a 2nd YouTube account that you could log in with to see whether you encountered the same problem or not.  Best wishes and good luck solving the problem.

0 Kudos
mrfury

Jump to solution

this is happening to me all of a sudden on roku.

i am able to play all the videos on my android app or chrome on windows. also i am able to cast the video from my roku app on android to the roku youtube app just fine.

i have logged out and back in on youtube app on roku and also uninstalled youtube app and reinstalled. it always displays.

something went wrong

this video is restricted. please check with the google workspace administrator and/or the network administrator restrictions. as far as i know my account is not a workspace admin or network admin.

i have a single google account and it has a birthdate entered correctly. my google account is a parental account that oversees several child accounts. nothing has changed that i know of on my google account. these videos used to play fine on roku youtube. i have my watch history showing that is been viewed, yet i can not go back and watch the same video or new videos from the same content creators any more.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @mrfury

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, we recommend contacting the YouTube customer support team for more information and better insight about how their channel works on Roku. They'll be the best ones to help you out with that matter.  

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos