Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chad2pda
Level 7

Re: YouTube update of 1/19/21 crashes older Roku

Is roku going to resolve this issue? 

0 Kudos
Dwind
Level 8

No idea if they will or not.

my personal opinion is they rolled this update out to all rokus.

i doubt they did a full test. Some of the older models may not be able to handle the update. These they should move back to an older release.

0 Kudos
Madmatt
Level 8

After 18 pages of people reporting issues (even more on reddit) it would be nice to see some sort of official reply apart from the generic autorequest for information/serial/version etc...

WHEN is this going to get addressed???

0 Kudos
Dwind
Level 8

I’m sorry to say, I’ve nothing to do with ruko, not an employee or consultant, just a frustrated customer as you are.

they should be able to reproduce this problem with ease. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Chad2pda wrote:

It isn't the Responsibility of Roku to fix something Google broke. The provider of the channel has to fix whatever they broke, and that provider is Google. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jimcat
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 crashing when trying to start Youtube

This method worked for me: Home 5 times, Up Once, Rewind Twice, Fast Forward Twice. The menu will move around a little and then it will restart. 

0 Kudos
visitor200
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

@Chad2pda wrote:

It isn't the Responsibility of Roku to fix something Google broke. The provider of the channel has to fix whatever they broke, and that provider is Google. 

That may be . . . but it is the responsivity a Roku employee to refrain from announcing to everyone that Roku has resolved the issue, and then we find out that the employee (Danny:  RokeDanny- R) posted his solution without even verifying that it was a legitimate fix.  Now we learn that Google needs to fix it???  Uh . . . I told my wife she could use my working Ultra and I will use my SmarTV's app.  

This is no way to run a company.

Currently use 2017 Roku 4660 Ultra and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011,

Previously owned: 2015 Roku 1 Legacy, and Model 2000c, Software V3.1 build 1011
0 Kudos
Dwind
Level 8

We don’t know who broke what. And it’s more complex than that.

for example, maybe google exploiting an API in an incorrect manner. Then roku fixed or changed the API hole. Whose problem?

maybe the roku is running out of storage? Who’s problem?

I’m pretty sure roku knows what the problem is by now and is trying to figure out what to do.

Beeswaxian
Level 8

Just chiming in again to say this pattern that worked for others has tonight worked for me on my Roku 3:

- delete Youtube app

- system restart Roku

- check for system updates (there were none)

- install Youtube app

- launch Youtube

I guess we'll see if if still works tomorrow after I launch some other apps and go back to Youtube. Based on others' comments I think they rolled out a new Youtube update that works. Just have to delete it first, then restart, then install it again.

0 Kudos
Dark_Penguin
Level 7

I can confirm that the bug doesn't affect newer devices, and on my old Roku 3 I am experiencing the same error you mention.

0 Kudos