Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveu
Level 8

Re: YouTube update of 1/19/21 crashes older Roku

I'm having the same trouble with the Roku Streaming stick.  At first, clicking on YouTube would black out the screen for about a minute, and then Roku would restart to the main menu.

Then it started working for about a day, but now selecting YouTube takes you right back to the main menu.  Have done a factory reset, to no avail.  All other channels work fine.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@daveu what model Roku Stick do you have? This issue so far has only appeared on older devices. Just trying to identify if it's reaching newer players as well.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mariner133
Level 8

I have the same problem.

had to reboot 3 times and then repower to get a successfull start of Youtube

0 Kudos
eford
Level 8

In my case it seems to have been a transient problem.  As I posted earlier, it cleared up (on its own?) after I shutdown the TV.  I had previously tried all the steps I indicated (rebooting the Roku, removing and replacing the channel, etc.) but the problem kept occurring.  However, after I went thru the steps indicated in another post to retrieve the model specs for my stick I shutdown the TV.  I then decided to try the steps to duplicate the problem and get the Tracking info described in another post.  This time when I started the channel everything came back on normally.  

Beeswaxian
Level 8

The reason I think it might be just because the latest Youtube app is a memory hog is this problem was transient for me, too, on the Roku 3 over the past year. But, lately, it's just permanent. In the past, however, the way I would fix it is by deleting other apps to give the Roku more available space/memory/whatever to work with because I noticed that Youtube and the AppleTV app were constantly "battling it out with each other"—what I mean by that is is Youtube and AppleTV would reload themselves every time they were used. Basically, one app was unloading to make space for the other app every time I switched from one to the other. This didn't happen with Hulu or any other app. Just AppleTV and Youtube fighting it out, probably because they are the biggest apps on my Roku.

That finally stopped and AppleTV doesn't bother reloading anymore and Youtube just crashes. I've reinstalled it a couple times.

0 Kudos
daveu
Level 8

My device is a Model 3600X Roku Stick, s/w 9.4.0 - build 4200-24.   Just 5 minutes ago I tried removing YouTube, reset Roku then reinstalled YouTube.  Now I'm back to getting the black screen when selecting YouTube and after a minute Roku restarts.

atc98092
Level 21

@daveu thanks. That's the newest player I've heard yet with the problem. Everything I use is newer, and haven't had any problems. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
daveu
Level 8

@atc98092  I'm new to this forum, so possibly didn't reply to you correctly, apologies for the duplicate post.

My device is a Model 3600X Roku Stick, s/w 9.4.0 - build 4200-24. Just 5 minutes ago I tried removing YouTube, reset Roku then reinstalled YouTube. Now I'm back to getting the black screen when selecting YouTube and after a minute Roku restarts.

0 Kudos
Barbwire
Level 8

Nope and im pissed....dont know why support hasnt fixed this yet

0 Kudos
Poterico2
Level 10

I have a pretty recent Roku, and no problems here. I might recommend you buy a new one. 

0 Kudos