Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

YouTube update causing audio crackle

Hey all,

I'm currently getting weird static/crackle sounds in all videos I watch onYouTube. It happens when using the built in tv speakers and through my receiver using ARC. Did not happen before. I think the latest update might be causing this. The YouTube channel looks different than the last time I used it when I was having no issues. Netflix, Hulu, etc are unaffected. 

Might be a Roku TV issue because my streaming stick + doesnt seem to be having the static/crackle sounds. Wondering if anyone is also experiencing this.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku TV Youtube audio static

I've recently purchased a Roku TCL 40S325-CA TV. So far, I'm loving it with one exception.

When I listen to audio coming from the Youtube channel, it has annoying static/crackle. The other channels are fine so I think that rules out a hardware/speaker/cable issue. I can plug a Chromecast into the TV and listen to the same videos crystal clear.

Video below has static in Roku but is perfect in Chromecast.
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-ARKdjMCE&feature=share

I've tried rebooting and powering off the TV, removing and re-adding the Youtube channel. I've also tried unplugging the speakers (analog out) and the TV speakers have the same static, but only with the Roku Youtube channel.

In my mind, the issue is with the Roku Youtube channel.
Anyone else experience this? or have thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube update causing audio crackle

Yes! This has also been happening to me for months I started my own thread about it to no avail https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Youtube-sound-bug/m-p/520874#M22102 Believe me its definitely the youtube app for roku TV.  I've ruled out every other possibility a hundred times over. Its a weird issue that probably most people don't get or notice. 

Highlighted
Level 7

The static is definitely specific to the YouTube Roku channel.  All other channels are crystal clear.

I use YouTube for music.  It's definitely annoying.   

I've chatted with TCL tech support over the last week.  They've had me try Factory Resets to new Roku accounts.  No changes. 

No resolution... I was hoping this was a known issue that was being addressed.  Seems like there's at least a few of us.

I love my TCL TV and Roku.  I'm hoping the quirk with YouTube eventually gets sorted out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

If enough people complain for youtube to notice. I have a philips tv 32 inch btw for the record dunno the exact model offhand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I started having the same issue today. I also restarted multiple times including removing the cord from the wall and waiting a few minutes. None of those seemed to work.

I did however go to the Roku TV settings and turned OFF volume leveling. I usually always had that on, but it's what seemed to be what was causing the static.

I hope this also works for the rest of you!

Spike

Highlighted
Level 7

My Volume Leveling is off and Greyed out because I'm using external speakers.  I've played with this setting and the TV speakers.  No luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Mines doing the same thing! It starts out with no sound at all so I open the settings tab and it starts crackling and weird sounds and voice tones. I have a TCL Roku Smart TV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I don't have a Roku TV but I have a 4K smart and on YouTube it has been doing that lately also

0 Kudos