Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

YouTube problems on Roku Ultra 4670 (2019 model)

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has been having trouble with YouTube lately. The problem that I’m having is that at least once or maybe even twice a day I will be watching YouTube and the video will freeze and then my Roku will force restart itself. I cannot re-create the problem, it seems random. However that being said it seems to be consistent enough to be a YouTube app problem.

I have a 2019 Roku ultra, with a brand new HDMI cable. My Roku is software is 9.2.0 build 4570–46

Can anyone help me, if not Has anyone else had this problem where I’m at the mercy of the software. Worst case scenario did I receive a lemon?

37 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: YouTube problems on Roku ultra 2019

@themanwhoSits Thanks for sharing your experience here. Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then, go to Settings>System>System restart and restart your device completely. Once it boots up again, go to 'Streaming channels' on the Home screen and add YouTube back again. Then, try watching content again to see if this issue occurs again.

The behavior of your Roku device crashing (and not just the channel itself) indicates that there may be an issue that will require investigation from both Roku as well as the channel provider in order to resolve. Certain channels offer multiple versions, based on the device you're using to access the service. An issue may occur on some devices, and not others, due to this. If your device exhibits the crashing behavior again, please generate an issue report tracker ID by pressing the Home key 5 times, followed by the back key 5 times on your remote. Feel free to send me a private message including the tracker ID, your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About, along with a link to the video that you were watching when the crash occurred. I'll follow up with you from there to gather additional information and work with our team to pass this along to the channel provider. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
mrrogers101
Level 8

I have the same issue with You Tube and the Media Player app.  3 of the Ultras with 4750-46 update now have the same issue.  They had been working just fine previously.  One unit has not updated from older versions and it is running just fine.  I keep that one turned off unless using it.  That prevented any updates.  The updated ones play and then freeze.  You can't do a recovery without exiting and restarting the app.  Sometimes it automatically reboots the unit.  I am a big Roku fan, but this is eroding confidence in their software updates.  Hoping to see an update to cure the issues.   

Highlighted
Trackpad
Level 7

I am seeing the exact same problem with my brand new Ultra 2019.  Youtube crashes and the Roku reboots itself.  One time it didn't reboot after a freeze.  I had to pull the power plug to reset it.

My old $20 Roku stick didn't have this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mrrogers101
Level 8

Got a friend that just replaced 2 Fire devices with Rokus  and they have the same issue with YouTube and the Media Player.  If the fix doesn't happen soon they will return the 2 Rokus.  Really, Roku doesn't seem to check out their updates very well.  Three of my Ultras still have the same problem.  Only the one I keep turned off, except for occasional use, still works without the glitches. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trackpad
Level 7

We bought five 2019 Ultras to replace all of our Nvidia Shields.  Just today, I witnessed the Youtube crash & reboot bug on another one of our Ultras.  Previously, I had only seen the problem on one of our units.

This is a real problem that needs attention, not some one off fluke bug.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dstrenz
Level 7

Same problem here with my Ultra, which is only about a month old. It happened again this evening exactly as you described: Youtube freezes and the Roku reboots without a clue as to why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PKY
Level 7

My new Ultra 2019 also does it, about once an hour in YouTube app.

My 2018 Ultra is fine as are my Roku3s.

Highlighted

After all these replies, I’m glad I’m not alone. I’d rather it be a software issue than a hardware issue. That being said it’s not excusable, this needs to be fixed especially because it can’t be re-created on the spot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MWisBest
Level 7

I have two 2019 Ultras,  both with the same issue described here. The video will start going almost frame by frame while the audio keeps going, then after a few more seconds the entire system locks up and the Roku eventually restarts itself.

If this isn't resolved soon I'll have to return the devices.

0 Kudos