Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melvenis
Level 7

YouTube pause brings roku download screen saver.

Hello I have noticed that whenever you pause a YouTube video for a few seconds a Roku screen saver shows up. When you come back and press play to unpause it always starts trying to download some channel and you have to cancel and go back to you to find your video again etc.

Is there a way to turn this off?  Other channels like Netflix and Hulu don’t do this.

7 REPLIES 7\
boomhower
Level 7

Re: YouTube pause brings roku download screen saver.

This is infuriating!  You press play to resume a video and it quits the YouTube app.  It's usually very difficult to find the video you were playing, as youtube takes it out of your feed.  

blxdrums
Level 7

It drove me crazy! I'm not sure if you figured it out yet? What you need to do is go to Roku Settings - click Theme - scroll down to screen saver wait time - then choose - Disable

blxdrums
Level 7

If you don't want to disable wait time, you can go to settings, screen saver, then use another screen saver from the list. The annoying one is called "Roku Movie Magic" which Roku just installed. It has a built in feature so when you click it, it automatically start installing

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Don't press the play button to unpause the video, or to exit the screensaver. As some have noted, some screensavers have small ads for channels placed in them and pressing OK or Play will trigger the ad to download the advertised channel. Press any other remote button (I usually just press one of the directional pad buttons) will close the screensaver and return you to where you paused playback. Now you can press Play and resume your video.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
EasilyDstractd
Level 7

Just a tip... You can scroll down to library over on the left ... Go right click History.... Boom previous videos. Unless you have your youtube history paused... I hate when his happens. All I watch is youtube. I figured out real quickly that hitting up or down will work to get past the screen saver however I looked this up just now because I just hit the up button and it took me out of the app... However this time a channel wasn't loading. I really think ROKU needs to fix this issue and not allow screen savers to be able to direct you anywhere... 

0 Kudos
Harescramblerac
Level 7

I found out a way. Go purchase an ONN UHD streamer from Walmart. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The new Onn 4K player is a great value. There are things it does better than a Roku, and there are still places that Roku is better. For $30 I think it's worth having both. I just picked up an Onn just to play around with, and it has some definite advantages. But it also still has some bugs to be worked out, such as HDR being enabled at all times. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos