Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube keeps kicking out?

@kodywhite116 this is your first post, so there's no past history posts. You need to tell us the model number (not the name) of your Roku. Older devices might not work correctly with YouTube, as Google keeps making the channel need more performance than the older players can handle.

The Roku 2 XS (model 3100) that I bought 10 years ago because useless on YouTube about 4 years later, so I just moved up to a new player. I'm not saying you need a new player, but we need to eliminate that possibility. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
kodywhite116
Channel Surfer

It is a TCL Roku Tv. Not sure where to find that information on the version 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@kodywhite116 wrote:

It is a TCL Roku Tv. Not sure where to find that information on the version 

OK, that changes things. Roku doesn't manufacture the TVs. They (TCL) license the operating system from Roku and they provide any potential warranty support. Sometimes with a Roku TV there's a hardware issue, and in this case that would be TCL you need to contact. I wouldn't expect a Roku TV to have issues with YouTube. The first Roku TVs were released in 2016, so approaching six years old at most. I wouldn't expect even the oldest ones to have an issue. I can't find anything official on Google's sites about support, but they do say YouTube TV is supported on all Roku TVs, so I would expect the general YouTube to work as well. 

It's possible that the operating system has gotten corrupted in some way, and the only way to clear that is a factory reset and set it up from scratch. I hate making that recommendation unless absolutely nothing else works, as it's time consuming to set everything back up. But at least when you link the TV back to your Roku user account you get all your existing channels installed by default. 

Dan

0 Kudos
kodywhite116
Channel Surfer

I think I might just replace the TV.  I don't understand why it only does it with YouTube TV but that is my cable choice and the TVs are not that expensive so it is probably time for an upgrade anyway. Thank you for your help.  If I have to download all the info and set up a TV again it might as well be a new one lol 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Depending on the TV you have, it may well be reasonable to replace it. Before disposing/donating your current TV, make sure you do a factory reset to remove your personal information. 

Dan

0 Kudos
kodywhite116
Channel Surfer

I didn't even think about that.  Thank you. The TV wasn't but around $100 when I bought it and I think the price is pretty much the same now. Maybe a little more. But with all the new updates and upgrades in the newer ones I think it would be better to do it that way. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yeah, you can get 40" 4K TVs for under $300 now. Walmart sells a 4K media player for $20 (list is $30 but it's almost always on sale). Even the Roku Premiere 4K+ is only $40, and it's an excellent player. Prices are some types of electronic devices are really low, while other items (computer video cards and processors) are still crazy high. 

Dan

0 Kudos