Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheldee

YouTube keeps kicking out?

The YouTube channel keeps kicking back to the Roku Home screen? Been having this problem for the last few days. I have reset the device and even did a full factory reset to no avail. In fact, YouTube just kicks out even faster now.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube keeps kicking out?

The Roku 1 (2710) is a 3rd generation box released in Sept 2013. I just double-checked, and it's not considered an unsupported legacy device (yet). But the older the box, the more problems they have with YouTube. Google seems to develop their Roku channel for the latest players, and don't seem to be worried about supporting older boxes. On my players, which are all 5th generation or newer, YouTube works fine. I use it almost daily on more than one player. You would see an enormous performance improvement by moving to one of the latest players. The Roku Premiere (3920) supports 4K, and is $40, or the Express (no 4K) is $30. And those are retail prices. I bought my Premiere for $29 on sale at a local store. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
moi2
Reel Rookie

I have exactly the same problem with youtube being sent back to the ROKU menu after about a minute or two of play.It appears to have started after an automatic update on June3. I have reset everything, including a factory reset but still happening. I have an older non-wifi device in the basement and it is working ok. I only use the Roku for youtube so cannot say if the same on other channels.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@moi2 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
moi2
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately it did not help. I did another "factory reset" and erased all unused channels and have tried your suggestion of erasing and reinstalling youtube. After checking I see it happens on all channels in addition to youtube. I had sent a help request to Roku support as well today. Hopefully there is a solution as the device is presently unuseable. Thanks for your time in answering my post.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@moi2 

Thanks for the post.

Please feel free to send me a PM with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-OS
(these all can be found in Settings > System > About)
-what channels are you experiencing this issue?
-what are you doing when this issue occurs? watching content? navigating the channel?
-ID tracker when this issue occurs. (this can be done by pressing the Home button 5x followed by the Back button 5x.

With this information, we will be able to look further into the issue and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
moi2
Reel Rookie

model is Streaming stick 3600x- Roku Stick

Serial 5s464r254774

Software 9.3.0 build 417024

Device Id: mac address B8:A1:75:49:B2:A7

Initially on youtube but after verification is all channells

When watching any video after about 2 minutes the channel playback cuts and Roku reverts to the Roku Menu

Id tracker pressing "home" followed by "back" gives no result but not too clear on this.

After verifying my old roku in basement it is actually wifi on the same router and is 2710xRoku1 1XJ647070535 with software 9.30 build 4170.06 and as usual works fine.

Definitely something in the memory of the streaming stick but after many resets and changing router without success I am at a loss.

I so hope you can find a solution as we regularly use this stick to watch music videos and have been very satisfied until recently.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

To generate an ID Tracker number, you press the Home button 5 times, then the Back button 5 times. The tracker number will appear on-screen. But you have to press them fairly quickly. Don't take too much time between presses and changing from Home to Back.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
moi2
Reel Rookie

After doing a last try I did another factory reset. The stick went into a loop on the display configuration and I thought it was finally unususable. I tried on another TV and got it out of the loop and to my surprise I was no longer kicked out of youtube. I returned to the original TV and found that problem was solved if I used a different HDMI input on my input switcher, but the original input will kick back to the main menu.  I would have expected loss of signal not a kick out. Also since the crash that HDMI input will no longer work for other devices except the ROKU, but of course the problem remains on ROKU. I bought a replacement HDMI switcher that works well with anything but the ROKU stick which gives an error of insufficient USB power no mater what supply I put on the stick. So back to a remaining input on the old switcher and so far working good. So it is something to do with HDMI protocol. Very happy to have my youtube videos running their full lengths again!

Moi2

0 Kudos
kodywhite116
Channel Surfer

Did the delete and reinstall and reset and everything and still kicks me out at least every 20 mins.  It seems like it freezes up and then I'm out. 

0 Kudos