Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philnjam
Level 7

YouTube hanging on Roku

Jump to solution

YouTube loads, but when I chose certain videos, the screen goes black and just hangs there.  I logged into my PC and tried to play the same video, and a new survey came up.  It appears that Roku software can't handle the new surveys that YouTube is now sending out.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
samhainnc
Level 8

Re: YouTube hanging on Roku

Jump to solution

Found the fix. Go into Google account then Privacy Checkup, go through the suggestions.  It worked after I clear them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @philnjam,

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel that you are experiencing the issue with from the Roku home screen. Then, disconnect your device from power for a minute. Plug it back in, then try to add the channel back once more and see if this clears up the issue. 

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Jump to solution

The channel apps for individual channels are provided by the channels themselves.  Roku just provides the platform on which they run.

Google, the owner of YouTube and YouTube TV, has been mucking around with both these channel apps for several weeks now and have created many problems.  With each new version they seem to fix some problems and create others.

The procedure Mary suggested will assure you have the latest attempt by Google installed.  Eventually they'll get it right.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
samhainnc
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am also having this problem, BUT when I log out of youtube and play as a 'guest' account it works fine. Fo some reason only getting the black screen when logged into my youtube account.  This is happening on all 3 roku devices I own.

I have tried deleting the channel, unplugging the device and reinstalling. Still no difference. 

0 Kudos
samhainnc
Level 8

Jump to solution

Found the fix. Go into Google account then Privacy Checkup, go through the suggestions.  It worked after I clear them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
istelecom
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you... the last solution work for me (clear private checkup suggestions from my gmail account from youtube app)... youtube app work again no blank screen on Roku 4 device... my ISP is in Mexico (TELMEX) with 500 mb download/100 mb upload speed,  via optical fiber,

Cuauhtemoc Morales

0 Kudos
philnjam
Level 7

Jump to solution

No, these steps did not fix my issue.  I own several Roku devices and the same issue exists on all of them.  I can play videos if I logon as 'guest', but not as myself.  Going to a PC and going to YouTube and answering the survey is what fixed the issue.

0 Kudos