Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube gray screen often (Roku 3)

Jump to solution
Over the past few weeks, the YouTube app video selections often end up with a perpetual gray screen. On occasion that screen transitions to pixelation and then resolves to normal clarity. In either case sound is unaffected. Also doesn't happen on my Chromecast.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube gray screen often (Roku 3)

Jump to solution

SOLVED this by:

• uninstalling youtube on roku.com. 
  • rebooting roku.
  • installing youtube via roku.com.
  • rebooting roku.

The problem hasn't occurred since. It's almost certainly a youtube version and update issue. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am getting this same issue too, and could really use a solution. This is, in fact, not just happening on YouTube but on a number of other channels. In all situations audio and video overlays, such as pause/progress bar, etc, all still work. If I fast forward or rewind on channels the preview thumbnails show what should be showing once I hit resume however it also will go "gray/grey".

I have tried a number of things such a restarting the app, the device, resetting internet, checking cables (as suggested, though I doubted it was the issue), and nothing seems to fix it permanently. This has been plaguing me for well over 2 months and I'm just tired of it and seriously considering alternatives after using roku faithfully since version 1. (I own all the devices pre-v4 but am disabled and can't afford anything new right now).

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This has been happening to me as well, for a few months now.  It seems to be more prone to happen after the roku has been running for a number of hours without a reboot.  I'm guessing maybe cache or memory locations are getting corrupted after running for a while.  I don't know. 

It's really annoying. Sometimes if I jog the video forward or backward a few seconds I can get the gray screen to go away, but not often.  Only thing that definitely fixes it for me is to reboot the roku... which is annoying to have to do so often (up to 2 or 3 times a day). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am also having this issue with multiple channels. If anyone finds the cause or solution that would be great!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

We just started having this issue on our Roku 3, mostly with YouTube, but now other apps on it are having image freezes while watching, though the sound is fine. We back out to the main screen and start over, but it's getting very annoying. Wish someone had an answer for it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

SOLVED this by:

• uninstalling youtube on roku.com. 
  • rebooting roku.
  • installing youtube via roku.com.
  • rebooting roku.

The problem hasn't occurred since. It's almost certainly a youtube version and update issue. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you! We have done that and so far, so good, though it’s only been a couple of hours! I appreciate the help!