Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alador
Level 7

YouTube freezing and restarting

Jump to solution

So my YouTube on my Roku (model 3930RW -Roku express) suddenly stopped working, everytime I try to open it my entire Roku freezes it stays frozen for a  it before restarting itself. I've tried uninstalling it restarting and reinstalling it, and powering it off and on before reinstalling but absolutely nothing is working everything I try doesn't work it just keeps freezing and restarting nothing I do fixes it it worked fine yesterday but today it doesn't want to work at all

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: YouTube freezing and restarting

Jump to solution

Try these known workarounds/solutions:

1) Check for updates: Settings/System/System update/Check now - try again

2) Restart Roku: Settings/System/System restart/Restart - try again

3) Change your Theme to the Roku Default: Settings/Theme/Restore default theme - try again

4) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock: Settings/Theme/Screensavers - try again

5) Remove SD card (if installed) - try again

6) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

7) Completely unplug power from Roku for 10-15 minutes - try again

8) Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- last resort

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

Try these known workarounds/solutions:

1) Check for updates: Settings/System/System update/Check now - try again

2) Restart Roku: Settings/System/System restart/Restart - try again

3) Change your Theme to the Roku Default: Settings/Theme/Restore default theme - try again

4) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock: Settings/Theme/Screensavers - try again

5) Remove SD card (if installed) - try again

6) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

7) Completely unplug power from Roku for 10-15 minutes - try again

8) Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- last resort

bcochranconsult
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing started happening with me this morning. Is there a fix for this? Everything else works but YouTube TV and YouTube do not work. Very frustrating

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@bcochranconsult 

That may be a big clue right there. Both of those apps are by Google, and if you're experiencing issues on both of those, and not on other apps, then it could be the Google servers -- they would have dedicated servers for Roku device streams -- could be experiencing some issues.

Not saying just sit and wait on Google to fix it on their end. I'm simply saying that it's possible that no matter what you do, it could be that nothing will resolve until Google does something on their end.

The thing though, if that this isn't a wide-spread issue. I'm having no trouble with YouTube (I don't have YouTube TV) and am watching YouTube right now.

I don't really have a solution, but am hoping that the fact that it's now two Google services with issues may offer a clue to @StreamerUser or others that might have more experience with those apps and services.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mbasics2000
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had issues with both Youtube and Youtube TV apps on 2 different streaming sticks.  One issue was resolved by restarting the Roku stick 3 times.  The other issue is still unresolved.

I followed some online recommendations for fixes, ended up deleting my Youtube TV app and trying to reinstall it, but there is no app to install anymore.

I tried streaming from my phone to the Roku stick and Youtube tried to start but would fail repeatedly.  This continued even after factory resets multiple power cycles.

If this is a result of the issues between Roku and Google that I was reading about last night, I am going to be pretty ticked off if they cannot come to a resolution quickly.

0 Kudos
Haloen97
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue i followed all the required except deleting app and it opens and freezes my system. I have no other issues with any of my other apps on Roku. Model 4670x. Software and internet connection updated and everything is on factory default and still nothing. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

@bcochranconsult @mbasics2000 @Haloen97 

Try the list of fixes I provided, in order.

If you decide to reinstall YT/YTTV as well, do NOT remove the YTTV app, you will not get it back until the dispute ends.

0 Kudos
mbasics2000
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I removed the YTTV app on one of my streaming sticks.

I tried streaming it from my phone to the stick, but it did not want to work.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

@mbasics2000 

You can use the YT app to access YT TV: Open the YT app, select "YouTube TV" in the lower left of the UI.

If you are having trouble opening YT, try the list, in order.

0 Kudos
mbasics2000
Level 7

Jump to solution

I tried the list in order and had no success with one of my streaming sticks.  The livingroom one worked fine through the youtube app.  I cannot get the bedroom stick to load the youtube app.  It keeps failing and asking to check connection.

Any other ideas I can try with this particular stick?  Thanks.

0 Kudos