Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiikeepr
Level 7

YouTube forcing HDR on a non HDR TV

When a video is HDR, colors look washed out on Youtube. Like is forcing the signal. Normal videos look fine.

This does not happen on Chromecast Ultra, neither in native Youtube app.

I already changed the Roku HDMI input just to verify. It's connected in the 4k 60hz input. It happens in Auto detect, 4k 30hz and in the 4k 60hz resolution.

I have a Vizio M50-C1 (4k only) with a Streaming Stick +.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: YouTube forcing HDR on a non HDR TV

People with other (non-Roku) players have reported the same issue with HDR material being washed out. Your Chromecast can likely change the colorspace settings on the fly to switch between HDR and SDR material. Many other players, Roku included, cannot. If I play HDR material on my Roku 4 (attached to a 1080 plasma) it too looks washed out. Can't do much about it with the Roku, since we have no colorspace control settings. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos