Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RamenBeast
Level 7

YouTube doesn't open

YouTube won't open at all but all other apps do, I've tried restarting it and reinstalling the app. It doesn't even try to open, literally nothing happens

13 REPLIES 13\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: YouTube doesn't open

Try these workarounds/solutions:

1) Remove YT app, RESTART ROKU (Settings/System/System restart) <-- Must do this here, Add YT app - try again

2) Change your Theme to the Roku Default (Settings/Theme/Restore default theme) - try again

3) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock (Settings/Theme/Screensavers) - try again

4) Check for updates (Settings/System/System updates/Check now) - try again

5) Network connection reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) - try again

6) Factory reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) <--- last resort

KAL3
Level 7

I have the same issue and read ROKU didn't renew contract? Sadly that was my main viewing. I hope  they can resolve this.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@KAL3 wrote:

I have the same issue and read ROKU didn't renew contract? Sadly that was my main viewing. I hope  they can resolve this.

That only impacts the YouTube TV app, not the YouTube app, and only for new customers/those that previously didnt download/use the YT TV app

0 Kudos
Bobby47
Level 8

Same here...YouTube app on Roku does nothing...DEAD!

Has worked until this AM...now cannot go to YouTubeTV at bottom of YT app and play TV via Roku.

Uninstalled the YouTube app on Roku, restarted Roku and reinstalled YouTube app...DEAD!

Looks like time to remove Roku for another streamer device.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Bobby47 

YouTube works just fine on all my Roku devices. Exactly what model Roku do you have? Google has "broken" the YouTube channel on older devices in the past. It was the first channel that became unusable on my old Roku 2 XS. You're blaming Roku for something that Google is responsible for. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bobby47
Level 8

I have two Roku devices....Express and Premier and the YouTube app on the Express no longer is functioning!!!

Has been working fine.

Premier Roku is working with YouTube ok....how long?

Work around found....app on Android "Screen Mirror for Roku".  I can now cast from YouTubeTV app on phone to Roku Express on TV!!!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

This isn't enough detail. Roku re-uses the player name with multiple devices, so simply saying it's an "Express" isn't precise enough. There's four different generations of the Express player.

I only have one Express, which is the new 3941 Express 4K+. That's probably not the same one you have, unless you only bought it within the last two weeks. The oldest versions of the Express (3700/3710) are now approaching 5 years old, and I wouldn't put it past Google if they've made YouTube work poorly on that version. They don't seem to care about supporting older devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bobby47
Level 8

I have a Roku Express 3900X and it has been working with YouTube loading until this AM!

Other channels work fine ..... Roku what's up????

0 Kudos
davidjazz
Level 13

There have been two updates to the operating system recently which affected the YouTube app.

Just go to to your system settings and update the system manually. That brought it back for me.

0 Kudos