Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wane
Level 7

YouTube cropping on Roku Express+ 4:3

So, I have a problem with the Roku Express+. It crops the edges of a 4:3 video on a 4:3 TV, on YouTube only. I think YT might be placing pillarboxing and assuming that my TV set uses 16:9. YouTube's version is 1.0 and the build number is 70500270. To re-produce it, you need to use a Roku Express+ and a 4:3 TV with A/V. Just watch any 4:3 YouTube video with it, and it should crop it. The Express+'s software version is 8.1.0, build 4155-51. The problem has a 100% chance of happening, if I'm correct. Thank you all for helping, or acknowledging.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: YouTube cropping on Roku Express+ 4:3

I believe that device has the ability to select 4:3 or 16:9 mode. There may be another option (auto or default) but I'm unsure. Look for that display setting somewhere in the menu and confirm it's set to 4:3

Not sure what else I might have to offer. Others who have an Express+ connected to an older TV may be able to chime in and offer support.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Wane
Level 7

Er, it's on 4:3 mode. I double checked. And it's only the YouTube app, strangely. All 16:9 content is properly letterboxed.
0 Kudos
Wane
Level 7

Bump. Anyone have an Express+ and a known solution? Thanks!
0 Kudos