Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ml6156
Level 7

YouTube channel problems

With the latest YouTube update whenever you pause or press down for recommended videos the video gets squashed down into a 1 pixel high horizontal line. Also, some videos play, but only with audio, the video is black. However, if you fast forward or rewind, the video frame thumbnails can be seen.

I've uninstalled the YouTube channel, restarted the Roku stick and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue. I can't update the Roku, it tells me bit's at the latest.

Roku 3600X
Version 8.1.0 build 4145-24
YouTube version da7f7288

Any ideas how to fix this? How can I go back to the previous YouTube version?
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: YouTube channel problems

"ml6156" wrote:
With the latest YouTube update whenever you pause or press down for recommended videos the video gets squashed down into a 1 pixel high horizontal line. Also, some videos play, but only with audio, the video is black. However, if you fast forward or rewind, the video frame thumbnails can be seen.

I've uninstalled the YouTube channel, restarted the Roku stick and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue.  I can't update the Roku, it tells me bit's at the latest.

Roku 3600X
Version 8.1.0 build 4145-24
YouTube version da7f7288

Any ideas how to fix this it will back to the previous YouTube version?

My YouTube version shows 1.0 build 70500270 on my Roku Stick model 3600.

You didn't put on your profile where you are, so I'm gonna ask: Where are you? Country will probably suffice.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
ml6156
Level 7

Thanks I'm in the United States. I was getting the version info from the App version screen under Settings in the YouTube app.
I just checked the channel from the home screen and it tells me it's version 1.0 build 70500270.
0 Kudos
504roadtrips
Level 7

Same issue here since Friday night (USA).  I could live with the 1 pixel strip when pausing, but about half of the videos in my subscribed channels only show a black screen with sound.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I've watched YouTube on the Stick (3600) just a little bit ago at lunch. I am experiencing the issues you're describing, but not all the time.

It's happening on the Stick (3600) but not at all on the Ultra (4660).

A pause or down-arrow during a video will cause a thin line of video to be all that shows, although the thumbnails below display as expected. I'm not certain if the video is crunched, or if a small strip from the middle of the video is showing. It has a very think line appearance.

Navigating up or down the thumbnails will usually (for me) display the top half of the main video to display (paused), making me think the "thin line" video is not the entire video crunched, but just a line of the middle of the video displaying.

Returning to play will occasionally resume things properly, although sometimes I have to rewind (via arrows) a display-frame and play for it to resume properly.

I've not tried on other devices, just on the Stick (where it happens) and the Ultra (where it doesn't).

Roku may need to do some in-house troubleshooting on this before it gets resolved. I suspect it's an issue with the YouTube app, but I don't have an older version of the app to compare.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jatkison
Level 7

I'm having the same problem as ml6156.  I have a Roku Streaming Stick model 3600RW, software version 8.1.0, build 4145-24.  YouTube app version is da7f7288.

For me, this issue started sometime in the late afternoon on September 8, 2018.  All videos compress to a 1 to 2 pixel height horizontal line when the pause button is pushed.  Videos with resolutions of 480p or lower have audio but no video (blank screen) and I just confirmed this with a channel that has no HD videos.  Streaming videos are similarly affected.

This issue occurred earlier this year, I'm guessing about a month to a month and a half ago.  I read on either this forum or another forum that Roku was working with YouTube to correct the issue.  Within a day of receiving that information, there was a YouTube update and the problem was solved.

One thing to note is that when the "bad" version of the YouTube app is loading, an hourglass appears prior to the YouTube post screen.

I contacted Roku Support via chat yesterday (September 9th) and explained the problem I was having.  I was told that I would have to contact YouTube to have the problem corrected.  Sigh...
0 Kudos
504roadtrips
Level 7

To add to my earlier post, I'm running version da7f7288, as others have mentioned, on Device TV (PLATFORM_DETAIL_OTT), Roku/3600X/BCM2836/0, Cobalt (9.174384-gold), Roku (8.10)

In addition to the 1 px high display when bringing up any menu options, and the black screen on about half of the videos I try to watch, the Android tablet that I use to control the YouTube app no longer shows that I've watched the videos that I'm watching.  I typically put a bunch of videos into the Watch Later list and then queue them to the TV when I'm ready to watch.  Then I can go back into the Watch Later list on the tablet and click "Remove Watched" and it takes away everything but the stuff I haven't seen yet.  This stopped working at the same time as the Roku app started acting up.  I'm signed into the Android and Roku on the same YouTube account, and the tablet is linked to the Roku.  I realize the bad Roku app release may have coincided with a bad Android release, and therefore, this may not be a Roku problem, but if I watch videos on the computer, the Android tablet shows it as watched. 
0 Kudos
504roadtrips
Level 7

"jatkison" wrote:
For me, this issue started sometime in the late afternoon on September 8, 2018.  All videos compress to a 1 to 2 pixel height horizontal line when the pause button is pushed.  Videos with resolutions of 480p or lower have audio but no video (blank screen) and I just confirmed this with a channel that has no HD videos.  Streaming videos are similarly affected.

I thought it was just 480p videos that weren't displaying any picture (after playing with the Quality option and the Stats for Nerds), but I tried to play one of my own videos that I know was uploaded in 4K and it also wouldn't display a picture.  Same for another 4K channel I watch frequently.  Also, some of the videos that wouldn't display had no option higher than 480p under the Quality setting, but I KNOW that the videos were higher resolution than 480p. 
Note that my Roku is a 1080p max, as is the TV I'm watching on...and I assume the same goes for everyone else having this problem, if the 3600 series Rokus are all 1080p.  I'm wondering now if the video goes to black screen for any video that isn't working at 1080p.
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I talked to Roku Help too and I went through all the steps with the agent who was helping. Most of which I had tried before calling. She told me that it definitely was not my stick or any issue with Roku and it was a YouTube App issue and I would need to call them. She gave me a contact number but it was already too late to call. I will try to call tomorrow and see if I can report the issue though I doubt I will be the first one to call about it.
0 Kudos
Fathergoat
Level 7

Has anyone talked to youtube yet?
0 Kudos