Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube channel problem "

Anyone ever see this error.  Getting it on Roku3 and my TCL Roku TV with about 30% of the videos.

The video  spinner spins and the right half of the display says: "Something went wrong" "This video is restricted. Try signing in with a G Suite Account.  Removed and re-added the channel.  Any other things to try?

Multiple Roku devices on latest software have it -- so it's either the account or the channel app.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: YouTube channel problem "

@pechter 

Thanks for the note.

Please make sure after you remove the channel, that you restart your device before adding the channel back again.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Youtube directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Youtube channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube channel problem "

No luck... Reinstalled  YouTube channel and it worked for a couple of days and it came back after three or so days.

It's about a 1/4 failure rate to watch content I want to see and the same errors are in the YouTube forum for years for the problem with a WebBrowser.

The most common explanation is Wifi issue... or that your account has the Restricted Content block set.

Rebooting and reinstalling is not a fix.  The Roku's are on Cat5e cable on gigabit ethernet to Fios's fiber.

Not a wifi problem.  Different ethernet segments to the main switch as well.  Roku check connections show 78Mbps and good connection.    **bleep** if I can figure how to get enough info to get the attention of google on this.  Perhaps if I had a channel with 1million subs and complained.

But I'm a viewer.  Just the eyeballs google is selling for cash.

Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube channel problem

Just left posts on the YouTube community support. Best I can do.
It's pretty obviously the YouTube Channel since it even happens casting to the Roku from my laptop but the same video in Chrome works if I cancel the cast.

It's about 1 in every 4 videos making using my Roku to watch YouTube useless.
If it's not fixed in the next update the only recourse I have is to cancel YouTubeTV to hit 'em in the pocket book.

Oh yeah -- I can cast the thing from my laptop to the Roku sometimes and sometimes it just starts and then pulls up the "Something went wrong. This video is restricted."

I just did that and now I got the same message from the laptop in chrome after about a minute. I get "this video is not available for remote playback" from the laptop's chrome browser.

If I don't send it to the Roku it works just fine.

Bill

Tags (1)
0 Kudos