Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattjans
Level 7

YouTube channel feedback

Sorry if this isn't the right place, but I couldn't figure out where else to post this, or how to give feedback to the developers of the YouTube channel. 

So here are my comments

1) I love it when it works (75-80% of the time). Lately, when trying to stream from my phone, it never connects. Even when it does work, it's pretty darn slow to connect. It beats having to deal with Plex or something like that, but still. 

2) The bigger problem is that they need to put more time into the channel itself and not just assume that everyone will be accessing it from a phone via the YouTube app. Within this category, the biggest problem is that the YouTube channel doesn't seem to fully recognize the Roku remote app (I'm on Android). Specifically, I can navigate around the channel with the remote app, but I can't type into the search field with it. Every other channel seems to be able to do this, so why can't YouTube?

You're probably going to tell me that I should just access it from the YouTube app on my phone, and you're right. But case in point of the overall suckiness of the channel, yesterday it wouldn't stream from the YouTube app on my phone to Roku. Just hung in the "Connecting to Roku..." stage. So I had to go to Roku remote, which is a horrible experience when trying to select one letter at a time (and not even organized qwerty...whose bright idea was that...where else in life after kindergarten do we select letters ordered alphabetically?). Anyway,...

3) Last point is that even using the Roku remote, the navigating within channel is VERY slow and sluggish. The slowest of all the channels I use. Even worse than Hulu! 

Hope the right people see this and can fix some it. Thanks Smiley Happy Hope I'm not being too rude. Just trying to give some frank feedback. 
0 Kudos
28 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: YouTube channel feedback

My son is a YouTube watcher (almost every day) and has never had an issue.

What Roku model are you using?  How does performance differ when accessing the channel directly from the Roku, rather than going through your phone?

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

On my 2 XS, YT is virtually unusable. It responds so slowly to button presses that it's just unwatchable. Plus, ocassionally it just crashes the Roku completely. On the Roku 4, it responds quickly, and works quite well. On my Stick (latest version) it works as well as on the Roku 4 with one exception: if you hit the right pad to scan forward in the video, it has a delay between button presses and the action taken. Other than that, it works well on the Stick.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

YouTube app on Roku is a turd - but that's not news, in the sense that YouTube app is reliably a turd on all mobile platforms. Its interface is consistently bad but i suspect consistency is more important to them, as a case of "better the devil you know than the devil you don't". I personally have uninstalled the YT app in iOS and instead watch the YouTube in web browser, the UI is better.

There is one thing about the YouTube for Roku though, that is inexcusable - and that is the un-support of remote keyboard, as mentioned above. I regularly receive user complaints for my Remote for Roku app that "the keyboard is not working" - and invariably in the email exchange that follows, it turns out the culprit is the YouTube channel. I just answered one such email this morning, here is my take on it:

YouTube is the only Roku channel with that issue. Unfortunately there is nothing that i could do personally to fix this - but feel free (and invited Smiley Happy ) to contact YouTube directly at http://youtube.com/roku_feedback and complain about that issue. If enough people complain, they'll fix it... one imagines.
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 7

My only Peeve with the UTube channel on the ROKU which i use on a daily basis is that the volume level on the adverts is at least ten dB higher than the regular level. I would love to see some type of AGC to prevent this.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

My first post here was a complaint about the YouTube app on my Roku 1, it works fine on my Roku 3, but was virtually unusable on my Roku 1 from the moment I got it with a 5-6 second wait between any click on the remote and it registering on the screen and then became literally unusable with video resolution problems.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The YouTube app on my Samsung 4K set works perfectly, so they are certainly capable of making an app that works. As I said, the app on my Roku 4 works about as good as my Samsung, including high bitrate UHD videos. The Stick is close, but not perfect. The 2 XS is garbage. I think the problem is they use the same app on all models, and the older boxes don't have the power to run the latest app.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mattjans
Level 7

Forget what it's called. but I have the little thumb drive-sized Roku. Hulu is the only other channel that really lags. And they've had a crappy UI forever. Anyway, glad I'm not the only one with YouTube problems. Now let's just hope a developer reads this. Smiley Happy 
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

"mattjans" wrote:
Forget what it's called. but I have the little thumb drive-sized Roku. Hulu is the only other channel that really lags. And they've had a crappy UI forever. Anyway, glad I'm not the only one with YouTube problems. Now let's just hope a developer reads this. Smiley Happy 

You must contact YouTube and not RokuCo! Try the URL from above, http://youtube.com/roku_feedback
... or there is no hope to hoping. RokuCo does not write the YouTube app, the YT department at Google does - and they are the ones that have to fix it! Posting at RokuCo's forum does precious nothing to get YT's attention. 
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"mattjans" wrote:
Sorry if this isn't the right place, but I couldn't figure out where else to post this, or how to give feedback to the developers of the YouTube channel. 

So here are my comments

1) I love it when it works (75-80% of the time). Lately, when trying to stream from my phone, it never connects. Even when it does work, it's pretty darn slow to connect. It beats having to deal with Plex or something like that, but still. 

2) The bigger problem is that they need to put more time into the channel itself and not just assume that everyone will be accessing it from a phone via the YouTube app. Within this category, the biggest problem is that the YouTube channel doesn't seem to fully recognize the Roku remote app (I'm on Android). Specifically, I can navigate around the channel with the remote app, but I can't type into the search field with it. Every other channel seems to be able to do this, so why can't YouTube?

You're probably going to tell me that I should just access it from the YouTube app on my phone, and you're right. But case in point of the overall suckiness of the channel, yesterday it wouldn't stream from the YouTube app on my phone to Roku. Just hung in the "Connecting to Roku..." stage. So I had to go to Roku remote, which is a horrible experience when trying to select one letter at a time (and not even organized qwerty...whose bright idea was that...where else in life after kindergarten do we select letters ordered alphabetically?). Anyway,...

3) Last point is that even using the Roku remote, the navigating within channel is VERY slow and sluggish. The slowest of all the channels I use. Even worse than Hulu! 

Hope the right people see this and can fix some it. Thanks Smiley Happy Hope I'm not being too rude. Just trying to give some frank feedback. 

The main issue I have had with YouTube since late August across all smart TV devices (Outside of cell phone) is that only some of my playlists display in the library tab across devices on respective YouTube TV apps.  I have tried numerous times since then to report this bug/issue to YouTube via the YouTube help forums as this is not an issue exclusive to one device such as Roku, but I have been unsuccessful in getting an answer from anyone at YouTube. As a YouTube Red member, I thought I would have more success contacting the customer support for premium/paid content on YouTube, but was told that they couldn't help because it was the customer support for paid content only and said that the best way to get an answer would be through the YouTube help forums. Considering how popular YouTube is, it baffles me that there is such difficulty in reporting bugs/issues with apps and getting an answer from YouTube.  Frankly, I'm out of ideas on how to report this issue to YouTube. Hope this can somehow get back to YouTube.  
0 Kudos