Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube channel — doesn't support Resume Play?

Plex recently did away with its Watch Later feature, so I decided to try migrating to YouTube's own Favorites and Watch Later playlists, and started using the Roku YouTube channel in earnest for the first time. But now when I interrupt playback of a long video, when I go back to resume play at a later time, it doesn't remember where I left off, and only starts from the beginning. I am signed-in to my YouTube account. When I play a video on the YouTube website in my web browser, it will resume play, and it did in the Roku Plex channel. Does the Roku YouTube channel not support resume play? If not, are there any alternatives that do?
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016
0 Kudos
12 Replies
nocable
Level 7

Re: YouTube channel — doesn't support Resume Play?

To get more YouTube features, when watching on my big screen TV, I avoid using the YouTube Roku Channel, and instead cast YouTube from my smartphone to the big screen TV, through the general Roku casting option. But, keep in mind, I am **not** using the casting app **within** You Tube app on my smart phone. No, I am instead using the smart phone general casting option, and using the YouTube app to then navigate and play videos, as I'm signed into my YouTube account --on the smart phone--. I can control the speed of playback. Can't say if that gives the jump back in feature. Hopefully your smartphone has screen casting built in.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos

So is that a confirmation that the Roku YouTube channel indeed doesn't have Resume Play capability, and I wasn't just doing something wrongly? I have only a flip phone and not a smart phone, and wouldn't want to juggle two devices even if I did have one; I'd just like resume play in a Roku channel. This is bewildering and disappointing that the official Roku channel lacks such basic functionality. Is there another Roku YouTube channel?
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

0 Kudos

This probably is a question for the YouTube community. https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/youtube
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

YouTube on Roku does support resume play and it works fine for me, I just looked through the settings and don't see an option to turn it on or off so, I'm assuming, all that's needed is to be signed into the same account on all devices, which you've said you are, the only thing I can think of would be to sign out of YouTube and sign back in on all devices, which is a hassle, but I can't think of anything else.
0 Kudos

^ Thanks; now we have at least one confirmation that Resume Play does work for another Roku user.

Yeah, I, too, don't see anything in settings or More Options that pertains to resuming play.

I tried signing out and signing back in — this time into my main Google account, and not my secondary, "branded account," thinking that may make a difference — but it didn't help: I can start a video, back-out, then play again, but it won't pick-up where I left off.... Funny, it does remember my resolution setting across launches of the channel.

Maybe my Roku 3 (4200) model is too old for it to work.

I sent feedback to https://www.youtube.com/roku_feedback
– –

0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

Maybe my Roku 3 (4200) model is too old for it to work.

Mine is a Roku 3 4200 too, I'm guessing yours is on the same build, but in case you want to check mine's on Version 8.1.0 and Build 4154-04.

edit - didn't think to check youtube version, mine is also 4bb0ac1f on the Roku 3 4200
0 Kudos
davidjazz
Level 10

I have a Roku Premier + 4630X,  at 8.1.0 Build 4159-29
YouTube version 4bb0ac1f

It used to work all the time, but now it just works sometimes. 
I tried two videos I had stopped in the middle. One worked, the other did not. It may have to do with the length of the video. The one that worked was 12 minutes long. The other just 6 minutes.  But that's just a guess based on a very small sample.
0 Kudos

^ Holy-moly, that happened to me just now! I tried a video from this morning, and it picked-up where I left off. First time that's happened after many, many times having to jot down the timecode on paper. Maybe it will start working for me sometimes from now on. I can't see any rhyme or reason to it, but I'll keep at it, and if I can start to see a pattern, I'll report back here.
– –

0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

Holy-moly, that happened to me just now! I tried a video from this morning, and it picked-up where I left off. 

I wonder if YouTube just needs some time to sync in the cloud, when I stop a vid I almost always don't go back to it until later in the day or longer so maybe that's why it's consistent for me, there's enough time to sync everything up, although it's hard to believe YouTube needs much time to sync, maybe a few minutes, if that.
0 Kudos