Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glitterninja
Level 7

YouTube app exits a live stream on its own

Hello all. I just installed a Roku Ultra box on a new LG TV today and am noticing an issue when I watch a 24/7 live stream on YouTube. After 20 to 30 minutes, YouTube will quit out of the stream and pop up a thumbnail saying it's going to the next video on that channel in 5 seconds. No one has touched either the phone or remote to cause this.

We use the aame wireless connection for a PC and a laptop and neither have ever done this before. It's the first time it's happened.

Is there a setting I need to change, maybe? I just want to be able to leave live streams up without YT thinking I want to go to another video after 20 minutes.
0 Kudos
22 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: YouTube app exits a live stream on its own

No, there's no setting of how long a stream can play. However, there is a setting that turns off the auto-play of the next video. But that shouldn't be triggered on a live stream. My guess is there's something in the stream that is making the app think it's reached the end of the stream. I've watched live streams of over an hour without being bumped off, so I'm suspicious of the stream itself. But I do have that auto-play setting turned off, so it might help. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
glitterninja
Level 7

Hi! I found another post on the forum about this problem, it's apparently an issue with the YT app quitting out of a live feed at 15 minutes, but I can't figure out if there is a solution coming soon or what. It's been happening for months.

It's kind of a big deal for me because I have live feeds on all the time and if the Roku can't do that, I can't use the Roku. I get that Roku and/or YT aren't going to fix this just for me, but I honestly would not have bought the Roku if I'd known this issue existed.

Edited to add: this has happened to me on all live feeds, such as Kitten Academy, Bryant Park, various Explore feeds, Jackson Hole, some meditation feeds, etc. I don't think it's the feed.
0 Kudos
2ovrit
Level 7

I have had this problem for well over a month. I have tried and tried to get it resolved. No one seems the least but interested in fixing it. Yesterday, I suddenly realized live channels were not kickinv me out. The only thing different was the Roku ads that show up on the home screen. They weren’t working. As long as they were out of commission, youtube didn’t kick me out of Kitten Academy or any other 24 hr livestream. Obviously, there is a connection. The priblem exists on every Roku in my house- Ultra, Premier, Express+. Today the ads are working- the live streams are licking me out. There you go, Roku. I found the problem for you. Fix it! In the mean time, Chromecast works very well with youtube and everything else I’ve used it with. I recommend Chromecast.
0 Kudos
2ovrit
Level 7

Pardon my many typos, please.
0 Kudos
2ovrit
Level 7

A few minutes after I made last post, ads on home screen stopped working ahain. Sure enough, not getting kicked out of 24 hr livestream channels on youtube. Definitely tied to the ads in some way.
0 Kudos
glitterninja
Level 7

I noticed last night that Kitten Academy stopped working again. Most of the time the ad comes up briefly, then the ad box goes completely blank, so ads almost never work for me anyway.

The only thing close to a "solution" I've seen is that YT needs to update their app, but it really seems like it's on Roku's end.
0 Kudos
2ovrit
Level 7

I think it’s on Roku’s end, for sure. Eventually today, even though ads are alternating working and not working on home screen, Youtube started cutting off viewing of livestream channels again. Ads aren’t working right now again on mine, and Kitten Academy exited in exactly 15 minutes just a few minutes ago. Yesterday and this morning the link was obvious. It’s easy enough changing tv inputs for Youtube, though, and the “other product” works great. It just shouldn’t have been necessary to go out and buy a different company’s product.
0 Kudos
glitterninja
Level 7

Yeah, I just did a test when the home screen ads weren't working and Sheep Barn Cam exited at exactly 15 minutes. We're going to have to set up the TV itself to connect to YouTube since Roku is broken, but I'm planning on a little more testing to see if I can isolate the problem. I really think you're on to something with the ads. Hopefully Roku has a phone number to call because I'm going to keep pressing them to fix this.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the comments here everyone. 

Please feel free to send me a PM with more information about the issue you're seeing, including:

- Detailed description of the behavior you observe
- Your Roku account email address
- Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About
- The version & build of the YouTube channel you have installed (navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen and press the * key)
- The specific 'live' YouTube stream you are experiencing the issue with 

I'll provide this feedback to our team and the channel provider as we continue to investigate. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos