Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube app crashes after ~6 hours of streaming

Jump to solution

The problems I'm having are the YouTube app crashing on my Roku after about 6 hours of streaming (not a live feed). By "crashing", I mean stopping mid-stream and returning to the Roku home screen. These issues only started happening roughly 2 to 3 weeks ago, and are now persistent, happen every time.

For what it's worth, I got frustrated with it and dug my old Apple TV out of the bin today, plugged it in, updated and tried on that platform. On the Apple TV, the same thing is happening, but at about 5 hours in instead of 6 on the Roku. I think the Apple TV OS is recovering slightly better, as I'm getting dumped back out to the YT playlist instead of completely out of the app to the Apple TV home screen. I reproduced the problem twice today on the Apple TV.

So it seems that YT has botched their app somehow, perhaps in the memory management area. I'm going to plug the Roku back in and delete off most of the apps on it (I only use 2 or 3 apps anyway). Perhaps that will help ease memory pressure.

I did update our Roku to OS 9.2.0 yesterday, so it is running the latest bits, and I have already done the uninstall YT, reboot Roku, re-install YT process several times. Problem persists.

[New topic created, topic relocated and title updated]

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube app crashes after 6 hours of streaming

Jump to solution

I just saw this reply from a Roku community member:https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/roku-exits-youtube-amazon-every-30-mins/m-p/5...

Newer versions of Roku OS have a "Bandwidth Saver" functionality, which is defaulted to ON. What it does is force shut down any running stream if the remote control hasn't been "heard from" in 4 hours. 

I disabled this switch and kicked off my 12 hour video again (about 4.5 hours ago). So far, so good. Will report back if this fixes my issue.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTube stops playing

Jump to solution

FWIW one of the videos that causes the Roku to restart is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE4mHwGTTTU

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link.

To further clarify my use case, I've put together a playlist called "Pet TV" for our dogs and cats. Consists of squirrel and bird videos and such. Last month (September), I added three or four 8-hour videos to the playlist, which extended it from a 13 hour watch to around 35-40 hour watch. For the first week or so, no problems whatsoever with this.

Two or three weeks ago, the problems began. We started noticing the Roku sitting idle and realized that the playlist hadn't completed, and that the app had crashed (not returning to playlist menu, but kicked completely out of the app).

Since then, I've done a lot of testing on this. At first, I believed that the 8 hour videos were the issue, so I removed them, but since have discovered that this issue is NOT actually tied to any one video at all. We see the crash consistently right around 6 hours after the playlist has been kicked off, regardless of individual video length or which video is playing at the time. When the app crashes in the middle of a particular video, if I restart that video specifically, it always completes just fine, so long as it isn't longer than 6 hours.

A few days ago, the playlist had six roughly one-hour videos as the first set, and the app crashed near the end of the sixth/beginning of the seventh, although know that it almost always crashes while a video is playing, and doesn't appear to be tied to the beginning/ending of a stream. Right now, I have a 12 hour video as the first in the list, and it never gets more than half-way through that one video.

Since I was able to reproduce a similar issue with these on my Apple TV yesterday, it leads me to believe that something has changed for the worse with the YT streaming app itself.

My Roku is a 3900X Roku Express running software 9.2.0 build 4131-51. I have tried the uninstall YT, reboot, re-install YT process many times, and the issue persists.

Unfortunately, if Roku/YT support wants to reproduce this crash for debugging, they'll need to leave a playlist up for 6 hours. For reference, here is a link to that 12 hour video that always crashes around half-way through: https://youtu.be/nfT9Q3u0J40.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just saw this reply from a Roku community member:https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/roku-exits-youtube-amazon-every-30-mins/m-p/5...

Newer versions of Roku OS have a "Bandwidth Saver" functionality, which is defaulted to ON. What it does is force shut down any running stream if the remote control hasn't been "heard from" in 4 hours. 

I disabled this switch and kicked off my 12 hour video again (about 4.5 hours ago). So far, so good. Will report back if this fixes my issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Problem solved. The playlist has now been running for over 24 hours without issue, for the first time in many weeks.

I understand why Roku chose to make this "bandwidth saver" switch default to ON, and I get that defaulting it to OFF would be a hard sell internally, but I strongly recommend that when Roku is deploying OS updates that will disrupt or dramatically change the behavior of the streaming device, that they at *least* post a message to the user the first time or two that the new functionality does its thing and explain what happened. In my case, it looked like a YT app crash, and was unexplained.

Even a quick pop-up message the next time I clicked the remote would have saved me weeks of hair-pulling and troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Where can you change the setting for that. I am having the same problem with Sling TV...2 hours and it keeps going back to the home screen all the time....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Gbuck49 wrote:

Where can you change the setting for that. I am having the same problem with Sling TV...2 hours and it keeps going back to the home screen all the time....

The bandwidth saver is a 6 hour setting. It sounds more that Sling TV might have their own setting to kick you out after 2 hours. You probably need to contact them to ask about that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

ok thanks for the response..much appreciated

0 Kudos