Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skyman2002
Level 7

YouTube account login issue

Jump to solution

Hello there. The issue I am having is complex, so I'll do my best to describe it.

When I sign into YouTube on my phone with my email, I get an option to choose which account I want to use, one that has a lot of subscribers, and one that is just my email address, unused.

When I sign into YouTube on my Roku device, it just defaults to one of the unused accounts that is associated with my email.

Using the option to sign in on my phone through the roku app doesn't do anything, the YouTube app just defaults to using the inactive account.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: YouTube account login issue

Jump to solution

@Skyman2002 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Youtube support here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
pler7781
Level 8

Jump to solution

SOLUTION: YOUTUBE BRAND CHANNEL ON ROKU ON TV

1. Put yt on your home page if not already there

2. Have a mobile device (phone) ready that's on same local network

3. Go to yt on roku and select "add account"

4. A popup menu will appear with 2 options, select "sign in on your phone" NOT tv

5. Immediately select "Try another way" as roku searches unsuccessfully to find your phone

6. On your phone go to the URL roku shows you, which is youtube.com/activate; this needs to be in a browser, not the yt app

7. Next enter the code roku shows you into your phone where indicated

8. On your phone you will now have the option to select your brand page

9. In a moment you should then see roku has switched to your brand page on the tv

This worked for me and stays logged in after going back to roku home or restarting roku. Just don't logoff youtube on roku, just go to home. 

9 Replies
Skyman2002
Level 7

Jump to solution

The Roku YouTube app only uses the account with no subscribers.The Roku YouTube app only uses the account with no subscribers.

@Skyman2002 wrote:

Hello there. The issue I am having is complex, so I'll do my best to describe it.

When I sign into YouTube on my phone with my email, I get an option to choose which account I want to use, one that has a lot of subscribers, and one that is just my email address, unused.

When I sign into YouTube on my Roku device, it just defaults to one of the unused accounts that is associated with my email.

Using the option to sign in on my phone through the roku app doesn't do anything, the YouTube app just defaults to using the inactive account.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Skyman2002 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Youtube support here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
StewartR
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hey @Skyman2002, I'm having the same problem. On YouTube I seem to have an 'owner account, no channel' and also a 'channel' with subscribers, and my Roku always seems to connect to the former rather than the latter.

Have you worked out whether it's possible to change the YouTube behaviour so that it defaults to the other channel? I've been going round and round in circles on YouTube Help. 

0 Kudos
jmervz
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have two youtube accounts tied to one email address, but I can only view the one that I do not use. Are there any options to be able to choose which account I use that is associated with my email address. FireTV can.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
pler7781
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm having this exact problem (November 2020), when logging on to Youtube as a Roku channel, Youtube only allows log on to a primary google account, it does not give you the option to choose the youtube BRAND CHANNEL associated with the primary account. This problem seems unique to Roku; as others have posted, other platforms (smart TVs, mobile devices, etc.), immediately give you the choice of primary account or associated brand channel. Has anybody figured this out.  I hope Roku is not still referring it's user to the black hole of Google for support. Please, Roku, give us the answer, or do a firmware update. Youtube on Roku is far less useful without brand channels. 

0 Kudos
pler7781
Level 8

Jump to solution

SOLUTION: YOUTUBE BRAND CHANNEL ON ROKU ON TV

1. Put yt on your home page if not already there

2. Have a mobile device (phone) ready that's on same local network

3. Go to yt on roku and select "add account"

4. A popup menu will appear with 2 options, select "sign in on your phone" NOT tv

5. Immediately select "Try another way" as roku searches unsuccessfully to find your phone

6. On your phone go to the URL roku shows you, which is youtube.com/activate; this needs to be in a browser, not the yt app

7. Next enter the code roku shows you into your phone where indicated

8. On your phone you will now have the option to select your brand page

9. In a moment you should then see roku has switched to your brand page on the tv

This worked for me and stays logged in after going back to roku home or restarting roku. Just don't logoff youtube on roku, just go to home. 

Skyman2002
Level 7

Jump to solution

This worked! Thanks a million! 

0 Kudos
joaniel
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, but this gives an error when logging into a family account the is managed by an adult

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@joaniel

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's account information and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos