Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fourbeer
Level 7

YouTube Videos Will Not Play

For some time now, I am not able to play YouTube videos on any of my Roku players.  Whenever i play a video, I see a message saying "The video is restricted.  Try signing in with a Google Apps account."

Here are some details:
1) This is not adult content, these are just regular videos my kids are trying to watch.
2) I am signed into my youtube account within Roku Youtube channel.
3) I have removed and re-added the youtube channel.
4) I have tried all of our family's youtube logins and none will work.
5) I have this problem on both my Roku LT and XD
6) They all have the latest firmware
7) The "Restricted" setting is not selected within the Youtube channel.
8-) Videos played at one time, but several months ago stopped playing

Has anyone seen this problem?  I have searched the forums but could not find a similar issue mentioned.

Thanks,
Keith
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: YouTube Videos Will Not Play

Can you try this without linking an account and report back?  My son uses YouTube exclusively for his gaming videos, and hasn't encountered this issue.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"fourbeer" wrote:
For some time now, I am not able to play YouTube videos on any of my Roku players.  Whenever i play a video, I see a message saying "The video is restricted.  Try signing in with a Google Apps account."

Here are some details:
1) This is not adult content, these are just regular videos my kids are trying to watch.
2) I am signed into my youtube account within Roku Youtube channel.
3) I have removed and re-added the youtube channel.
4) I have tried all of our family's youtube logins and none will work.
5) I have this problem on both my Roku LT and XD
6) They all have the latest firmware
7) The "Restricted" setting is not selected within the Youtube channel.
8-) Videos played at one time, but several months ago stopped playing

Has anyone seen this problem?  I have searched the forums but could not find a similar issue mentioned.

Thanks,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I would check down detector and see if YouTube is experiencing any outages by region.  I use YouTube daily and I don't have issues as far as playback anymore. Back when I first got a Roku 3, unbeknownst to me, I had what was later described to me as "obsolete" equipment from my internet provider. Once informed of that by said internet provider I let it known to them that I wasn't happy that they didn't at minimum, send a notice either by mail or email to let my family and I know that we no longer had the current line of equipment.  The issues I was experiencing while using the obsolete equipment was exclusive to Roku's  YouTube channel in that a video would play and then when it would go to play another video a video playback error message would pop up on screen. Once I had updated equipment installed, the problem was miraculously resolved. I don't know if you may have a similar situation, but I thought I would share my experience.  My internet provider just merged with another company and is undergoing a rebranding period so I am going to make sure that I have current equipment going forward so I hopefully don't run into any problems.  

Best of luck to you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
knuckle
Level 7

Hi Keith,

Do you use a "safe search" service or does your router have parental controls activated ?Do you have programs on your computer such as "windows family safety" ,"safety net " or like these.  I saw this some time ago ... user was in the UK and they had to first enable the parental controls on the router then remove them ...

Post back with details about your router,ISP and any programs you may have installed
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
fourbeer
Level 7

Hi,

I am still having this problem...two years later.

To bring everyone up to date and answer previously posted questions here is what I have tried and of which failed to fix the problem:
__I have switched internet service providers several times 
__I have changed wireless routers 
__I have have purchased a Roku Streaming Stick +
__I have un-installed and re-installed the You Tube App
__I have created a new youtube login
__I have verified that restricted viewing is turned off in the youtube app on the roku
__I have verified that restricted viewing is turned off on the youtube website

I can view youtube videos from the same youtube account on my AppleTV just fine as well as our XBOX One.

Does anyone have any idea why no roku devices can view youtube videos?
0 Kudos
fourbeer
Level 7

"knuckle" wrote:
Hi Keith,

Do you use a "safe search" service or does your router have parental controls activated ?Do you have programs on your computer such as "windows family safety" ,"safety net " or like these.  I saw this some time ago ... user was in the UK and they had to first enable the parental controls on the router then remove them ...

Post back with details about your router,ISP and any programs you may have installed

No restrictions on the router, I have also tried multiple routers..all with the same result.  
All of my other devices in the home can watch the same youtube videos without issue.
Not sure how to address your question about whether or not my computer has a "safety net" on it.  My problem isn't with a computer, it is with a roku device.....and my computers all work fine.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

I'm watching YouTube at this moment on one of my Roku TVs. Used my Ultra earlier today without issue. There's nothing wrong with Roku playing YouTube. I recognize you can play on different players, but I use mine virtually every day with YouTube and don't have an issue. Why yours isn't working, I can't say. But it's not a wholesale issue with Roku players. I can't say if this applies to YouTube, but many online streaming sites serve different platforms from different servers. That can account for some players working fine while other players have issues. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 8

Weird. The same poster only posts in this thread 2 year timespan. fourbeer and 2 scotches ago.

But the reason your videos won't play is YouTube knows your user agent and such. They know you are using a Roku and knows where you are. They can block you in any country. Use a VPN and see if it works. There ya go. Advice for free. Make sure not to login if that is how they are block you. It isn't a widespread problem or others would've replied to this thread in that 2 year timespan. Has been crickets and shall be again soon.. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos