Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayparedes
Level 7

YouTube TV won't play when signed into my Google account.

Jump to solution

This just started happening yesterday evening (March 8th) on all my Roku devices. When I'm signed into my Google account in the YouTube app and I try to play a video all I get is a blank screen. However, if I sign out and use the Guest account or any other family member's Google account, playback is just fine. I have tried removing and adding back the YouTube channel with the same results.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robertg56
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV won't play when signed into my Google account.

Jump to solution

I just went to Google Privacy Checkup. It had 4 things to take care of. When I updated it. Now Youtube works again.

View solution in original post

kayanel
Level 7

Jump to solution

I signed out of the Youtube on my TV, then I signed in and I selected the "Sign in with your phone". I then went to on my phone's Youtube app and continued to signed in on my phone. I made sure my phone was on the same Wifi as my TV too and answered everything that Google asked or wanted confirmed. Everything works on my TV now! Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
optima
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same here.  Does not play any videos when signed into my account.  Tried removing/adding the channel, restarting the system.  Nothing works.  

jayparedes
Level 7

Jump to solution

After trying and trying I was finally able to play two very short videos. It seems that videos that do not play ADs, will playback, but videos that have ADs in them will not play. I suspect that this is an issue with the AD server and the AD personalization on my account.

JeffJ007
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was getting this too. It started last night. It occurred on two different devices (Stick and Ultra). I did what everyone here did too and no change. I will check out the AD vs. no AD. That is interesting.

0 Kudos
Robertg56
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just went to Google Privacy Checkup. It had 4 things to take care of. When I updated it. Now Youtube works again.

optima
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you!  Confirmed.  I also did the four privacy recommendations on my google account.  Now YouTube works when I am signed into my account.  

0 Kudos
optima
Level 8

Jump to solution

I also changed the ad settings.  Not sure which one did the trick.

0 Kudos
ShadowDad
Level 7

Jump to solution

I tried that. Updated/reviewed privacy setting. Still having issue with YouTube not actually playing. You can launch it, scroll through the videos, but none will actually play. They just go to a blank screen. 

0 Kudos
kayanel
Level 7

Jump to solution

I signed out of the Youtube on my TV, then I signed in and I selected the "Sign in with your phone". I then went to on my phone's Youtube app and continued to signed in on my phone. I made sure my phone was on the same Wifi as my TV too and answered everything that Google asked or wanted confirmed. Everything works on my TV now! Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ShadowDad
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just went to: adssettings.google.com and turned off the personized ads setting. Now it works fine. 

0 Kudos