Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marz00
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

0 Kudos
Clayton_Moore
Level 9

@jshouchin wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just saw the email from Roku this morning about the contract dispute with Google over YouTube TV. Anyone know how to actually contact Google about this?

In the YouTube TV App or from YouTube TV in your browser, click on your profile picture and then select "Send Feedback." I just sent them a note telling them we would be leaving YouTube TV if we can't watch it on Roku.

0 Kudos
KJSS
Level 10

I was not blaming roku. I was saying why does google have to be so greedy. 

0 Kudos
Trudijane
Level 9

Google eliminating U-tube from Roku?

I just got an E-mail from 'Roku' today - that is concerning me.  Here is what some of it said:

We are sending this email to update you on the possibility that Google may take away your access to the YouTube TV channel on Roku. Recent negotiations with Google to carry YouTube TV have broken down because Roku cannot accept Google’s unfair terms as we believe they could harm our users.

We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku

I watch U-tube all the time; so first, what is the best way to contact google; and 2nd what if an agreement is not reached?  How else can I watch U-tube?  All I have is a 'Roku' box that was set up for me.  Thank you.

Trudilu

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@chuckeroo wrote:

It's all related to the negotiated fees these companies all charge each other back and forth to be on the various platforms. Same as on cable or dish networks -- they all pay fees and often drop channels to keep from passing on the cost to you and me.

It has nothing to do with fees. It has to do with Google wanting certain search parameters that Roku feels is limiting to their service.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@G8rgrl9395 wrote:

I just sent a note to Google/Youtube TV expressing my disappointment in their inability to come to terms with Roku without one party involving the client install base. If these two highly profitable, non-customer centric companies cannot resolve their differences, I'm more than happy to drop both and move to other providers. Google at least had an easy way to send them an email, whereas I'm not seeing a similar direct email link within the Roku Support platform. Hopefully they are monitoring community chats and will see my feedback here. Both companies need to get it together and stop screwing over their clients. 

I sent a similar message to YTTV. But I'm more willing to switch to Hulu+live than I am to drop Roku. There are choices and I don't like the way Google is doing business. It's not just the Roku situation, they seem to want a monopoly on the information highway, and I don't feel comfortable with that. In fact Google is being investigated by the FTC for their alleged monopolistic practices

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@KJSS wrote:

I was not blaming roku. I was saying why does google have to be so greedy. 

If I misunderstood, I apologize. I keep seeing people who want to blame this on Roku. Roku isn't the one who's being investigated for monopolistic practices, Google is.

0 Kudos
Simon2010
Level 8

I agree with that google is the one who wants to get rid of it no roku.

0 Kudos
SlowHandStyles
Level 7

Lets hope that this is not true.  

Too many streaming services are popping up and trying to get a $15 monthly fee.  These options are going to endup making streaming as expensive as having Comcast was/is.

I cut the cord 5 years ago, but this is getting silly.  Stop trying to get me to pay for programming that I don't want to watch.  Let go go ala carte and get the few channels that I actually watch. I don't need Bravo, Comedy Central, MTV, Discovery, HGTV....none of these channels provide what they were created for...All they do is show reality programming that appeals to virtually no one.    

GuitarMan
Level 10

Re: Google eliminating U-tube from Roku?

Seems like Roku has disagreements with some major content providers.  They use the same or similar language to explain why they are no longer carrying the Spectrum app.

Roku needs to be a little more agreeable, imo.