Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Jump to solution

@mdnetherlands wrote:

That is Roku vision, Google has another one. Market cap? Roku is a small company, and fully dependent on content providers... 

Google has effectively conceded the AV1 demand claim.

I suggest you look at the (non-negative) impact the carriage dispute with Google (or NBC Universal, or WarnerMedia, or Charter, or Fox) has had on Roku in terms of earnings/stock performance/market cap.

Hint:  FYI, while Google itself is a rather large corporate entity, YouTube TV is a relatively minuscule OTT TV provider....

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mdnetherlands
Level 7

Jump to solution

You make me laugh.. Youtube (which includes youtube TV) has got a 25 times bigger turnover then Roku , comparable to netflix

Google a rather large corporate identity? Alphabet is the number 21 biggest company in the world...

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Jump to solution

@mdnetherlands wrote:

You make me laugh.. Youtube (which includes youtube TV) has got a 25 times bigger turnover then Roku , comparable to netflix

Google a rather large corporate identity? Alphabet is the number 21 biggest company in the world...

Clearly you are confused/uninformed - the carriage dispute is not over the YT app/service - the dispute involves the YT TV app/service - which has, at best, 3 million subscribers.

I suggest you inform yourself, perhaps start with the article linked..

StreamerUser

JimmyGee
Level 8

Jump to solution

That is Roku’s claim; Google claim says otherwise.  We don’t actually know what is really going on and none of us have ever seen the contracts so we don’t know what a reasonable ask from either side is.

All we know is that other platforms do not seem to be having these constant squabbles.

0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Level 8

Jump to solution

The problem is that Roku always seems to be having a squabble with a content provider and as of late too many technical glitches.  We have no idea what the contract between Roku and Google stipulated.  

0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Level 8

Jump to solution

Why is it on them for buying a Roku to view YouTube TV?   That statement is just wrong.

Roku said “give us your money - we can stream YouTube TV.” 

The only two that know what is really going on is Roku and Google.  Google says they are still hoping to come to an agreement.  Roku is saying nothing.

0 Kudos
Drewbab
Level 9

Youtube TV and Draining Batteries

Jump to solution

A monkey off my back.  I am done with Roku.  I had 4 and have replaced all with Apple TV's.  Between the Youtube TV issue and draining batteries I will never buy or use another Roku device in my life.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Re: Youtube TV and Draining Batteries

Jump to solution

@Drewbab wrote:

A monkey off my back.  I am done with Roku.  I had 4 and have replaced all with Apple TV's.  Between the Youtube TV issue and draining batteries I will never buy or use another Roku device in my life.

Was the additional remote click or three to open the YT app and then "YouTube TV" that onerous?

While the draining remote problem is real and definitely an annoyance, I dont see any previous posts from you about it until today, aside from a vague reference to it in a previous post here in this same YT dispute thread, and then this post also replicated at the end of the battery drain thread (also today, and no solicitation for assistance, just the same declaration).

There is no posting outside of this thread (before today) from you about a remote battery draining issue with a solicitation of help/assistance for it.

Regardless, I would keep those Rokus handy for when different apps' functionality/performance doesnt exist or is inferior on the ATVs (implement a multiplatform streaming strategy).

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Level 8

Jump to solution

Apple TV is a great platform and worth the extra money.  I’m sure you will be quite happy with it.  We expect equipment to work as advertised and when it doesn’t, we move on. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Jump to solution
@JimmyGee wrote:

Apple TV is a great platform and worth the extra money.  I’m sure you will be quite happy with it.  We expect equipment to work as advertised and when it doesn’t, we move on. 

There are plenty of alternative platforms/subplatforms.

Of course, they arent all equal app-wise or functionality-wise: 

I dont consider any platform that lacks passthrough audio as worth it (ATV4Kx doesnt support passthrough), or that lacks YT/YTTV HDR support completely (ATV4Kv1), or otherwise requires the user force HDR "always on" (ATV4Kv2) in order to get YT/YTTV HDR output very useful, especially when you are paying a premium not to have it, but if it meets your needs and otherwise fits into a multiplatform streaming strategy, then go for it.

When you want passthrough audio and 4K HDR (HDR10 and HLG) YT/YTTV support, you can always switch back to your Roku.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos