Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

@Dude949 wrote:

"This is going to resolve. No way is Roku going to kill the golden goose.

Yeah you are right its on me to have bought Roku. Based on reading reviews on streaming boxes, none of which are current or deep enough to have revealed the search flaw being discussed. It is NOT ABOUT EXCLUDING 3RD party from search results. It's about the context of Which Search Option to Use. So I have actually actually uses the product to understand facts, not simply posted a web link."

According to several articles, it most certainly is about excluding third-party results (at least supposedly according to Roku):

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open."

chuckeroo
Level 8

There is also no way to contact Roku support on this. If this is in fact real can we simply use an Amazon Firestick to get around the Roku vs Google issue?

StreamerUser
Level 16

@chuckeroo wrote:

There is also no way to contact Roku support on this. If this is in fact real can we simply use an Amazon Firestick to get around the Roku vs Google issue?

Yes, or any other platform/device that has YT/YTTV apps.

chuckeroo
Level 8

I also confirmed online that his is a real issue between Roku and Google and not a scam.

0 Kudos
Simon2010
Level 8

I don’t know why google is so mad at roku. It was all fine that google services were on roku.

0 Kudos
chuckeroo
Level 8

It's all related to the negotiated fees these companies all charge each other back and forth to be on the various platforms. Same as on cable or dish networks -- they all pay fees and often drop channels to keep from passing on the cost to you and me.

0 Kudos
mguffin
Level 7

Sorry Roku, not going to drop my TV service because you can't negotiate with YouTube TV. I'd drop my Roku's and replace them with Android or Apple boxes... YouTube TV is the only descent streaming provider available to me.

StreamerUser
Level 16

@chuckeroo wrote:

It's all related to the negotiated fees these companies all charge each other back and forth to be on the various platforms. Same as on cable or dish networks -- they all pay fees and often drop channels to keep from passing on the cost to you and me.

According to statements attributed to Roku, it isnt "about the fees":

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open."

0 Kudos
G8rgrl9395
Level 7

I just sent a note to Google/Youtube TV expressing my disappointment in their inability to come to terms with Roku without one party involving the client install base. If these two highly profitable, non-customer centric companies cannot resolve their differences, I'm more than happy to drop both and move to other providers. Google at least had an easy way to send them an email, whereas I'm not seeing a similar direct email link within the Roku Support platform. Hopefully they are monitoring community chats and will see my feedback here. Both companies need to get it together and stop screwing over their clients. 

0 Kudos
Simon2010
Level 8

I agree 100%

0 Kudos