Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon2010
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

I have been trying to call google and they just say that they don’t know anything about it.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@lindsayrae wrote:

Hi,

Don't think anything has actually happened quite yet.  Just something that may possibly happen at some point in the future!  I'm not spending any money until completely necessary, haha.  

Current and potential app/service carriage disputes are a primary reason one should have a multiplatform (at least 3) streaming strategy (one of which is Android/AndroidTV based for the purpose of sideloading apps).

Ultimately it doesnt matter who is responsible, or whether you support Roku or Google, or neither or both: the practical effect of not having access to a subscription/content is real and actual, thus requiring the multiplatform approach as a consumer so as to have uninterrupted access.

Considering you can get alternate platform products for $20-50, its well worth the "uninterrupted content access" investment.

StreamerUser
Level 16

@JerK wrote:

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

According to Variety https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

this isn't a money issue.  From the article:

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open.

In addition, one of Google’s stipulations in its renewal talks with Roku for YouTube TV is that Roku agree to future hardware specs as set by Google. Google’s Chromecast device competes with Roku’s streaming media players.

“ 'We are disappointed that Google has so far refused to accept our proposal to extend YouTube TV on Roku,” Roku said in the statement. “Roku is not asking Google for a single additional dollar in value. We simply cannot agree to terms that would manipulate consumer search results, inflate the cost of our products and violate established industry data practices. Google is already under fire from governments around the world for manipulating search results. It is outrageous that Google would now try to insist on manipulating Roku’s search results as well.' ”

This doesn't sound like the disputes with other streaming services, but Google telling Roku how to run their platform. I'm with Roku here.

Fine but if Roku turns off Youtube TV by their choice they should make the users whole.

Also I'm not sure how you do a search in Roku when the Youtube app is open.  When you go back to the Roku menu it makes you close the YoutubeTV app.  Sounds like BS to me. 

Give me the option.  Sick of Big Business and government taking away our choices.

Two new features of RokuOS 10 (Apps have to be updated to support both new functions): https://support.roku.com/article/228844467

1) "Instant Resume" Select streaming channels now support instant resume, a feature that helps users get back to the content they were watching within these supported channels faster. When launching a supported channel from the Roku home screen, users will now be taken directly to the place within the channel they left off so they can resume from that same point within the channel. Instant resume is currently supported on 15+ channels including The Roku Channel, Starz, and Plex, and will be available from additional channels over time.

2) "Improvements to visual search results for Roku Voice" Users who initiate a voice search while within a streaming channel can now experience a more visual and convenient way to browse Roku Search results without disrupting their viewing experience. Results will be displayed in a partial overlay with content from the active channel in the first row, followed by rows of other matches from elsewhere on the platform, providing users with the full breadth of results to choose from, ordered by the best possible match.

Notice the part that discusses "content from the active channel in the first row, followed by rows of matches elsewhere..."?  Google's objection is to the latter/second part - they insist global Roku UI search results, while YT/YTTV is open or active should only contain content from within YT/YTTV.

Notice that this would severely limit global Roku UI search results even if YT/YTTV were open, but not active (in instant resume mode).

Of course, this is all based on relatively speculative position/argument claims (including PR statements made by the respective companies) - no one except the Roku/Google representation teams really knows the precise details/extent of the disputed issues, and just like in every other such dispute, we arent privy to such information.

0 Kudos
Entrwriter
Level 10

It'd be nice to share a link that actually went directly to information.

Simon2010
Level 8

Roku please give us more information 

Entrwriter
Level 10

Google HAS a "branded streaming box"... It's called Chromecast with Google TV.

Dude949
Level 8

Not sure I know everything about it. I just wish the voice search button would not exit the YouTube TV app and let the voice search be utilized in the context of the YTTV app search function instead of forcing the user to access that search with the silly remote buttons making it almost useless.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@Entrwriter wrote:

It'd be nice to share a link that actually went directly to information.

Any/all "public facing" information is going to be limited, distorted, biased as well as untimely (notice the current carriage contracts ends in a few days) at best - consumers/public are never privy to all the actual negotiation dispute details, and even when negotiations conclude are kept effectively in the dark.

At best you get a relatively generic PR position/statement from the respective corporate entities, along with some half (at best, through tactical "leaks") informed media articles.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

Tomel
Level 9

Here's my take . . . 

I've saved a lot of money going from a cable TV service to streaming, using YouTube TV as my base service where I get most channels that I regularly watch. If Roku drops YouTube TV, then I drop Roku. Simple as that. We've got lots of recordings saved on YouTube TV and have no intention whatsoever of dropping that service. Chromecast devices cost from $30-$50. I can pick up a couple of the top-end Chromecast devices for the amount I'm saving versus cable in a single month!

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@Dude949 wrote:

This is going to resolve. No way is Roku going to kill the golden goose.

Yeah you are right its on me to have bought Roku. Based on reading reviews on streaming boxes, none of which are current or deep enough to have revealed the search flaw being discussed. It is NOT ABOUT EXCLUDING 3RD party from search results. It's about the context of Which Search Option to Use. So I have actually actually uses the product to understand facts, not simply posted a web link.

I'm a user of the product. I have put significant thought into actually using the device in the context of this discussion. As a USER of the product, with no corporate interests, I agree with Google on this.

When you are in the YTTV app, the voice search kicks you out of the app and back into the top level Roku screen. IMHO this is defective from the point of view of good UI design.  The search button automatically operates outside the context of the current activity.  In the user's best interest it logically should be applied to the closest search functionality while using the current app. This would be the Search menu item in the YTTV app. It is what I would want the voice search to apply to while using the app. So IMHO the Roku device is functionally lacking. As a user of the device I agree with Google's position. The YTTV app is well designed and this flaw cripples it, making the search unreasonably difficult to use.

The Search button could be programmed to do either A or B:

A) Applied to the active application search input function  

B) Kicked out of the app and into the Roku top Level Global Search

Right now the functionality is NOT optional it is forced to B. Logically who would want it to really work that way except Roku, who is logically (from their point of view) wanting to drive revenue streams that are probably derived through customer referral fees from channel subscriptions.

As a user wanting the global search you could simply Press Home before using the search button, and it would do exactly what it does now. Which actually makes a lot of sense the best interest of the user.

As YouTube TV is a very significant driver of Roku hardware demand, I would speculate that Roku will not foolishly bite the hand that feeds it.  And if Google wants to kill Roku as part of this process better now than later. I'd love a heads up on it so I could short ROKU if that's where it's going.

I don't blame Roku for trying to maximize revenue. I blame them for not caring what is actually the best user functionality for their customer. In some ways they are exactly wanting to be just another cable company. My mistake for thinking they were a hardware vendor.

@CaptGrumpy wroteSmiley Frustratedo quick to blame Roku.

If you bought Roku only for YouTube TV, that's on you, not Roku. They don't have to kowtow to Google. According to Variety, Google wants Roku to make hardware modifications to future devices. More expense for Roku.

Before you **bleep**, do the research.

And you're ok with Google demanding that they change their OS to meet a need only Google requires? OK. I'm not ok with that. If more companies demanded the feature, maybe. But just because Google is large doesn't mean it gets to dictate to Roku how to design their platform. But if you're a one app user, than I understand. I use lots of apps and Google is the one making unreasonable demands. Perhaps if Google funds the cost of the OS changes I might think otherwise, but not now, as it appears. Granted, my opinion is based on the news as released to date. If more info comes out that makes it look like Roku is the culprit here, I might change my opinion. But right now, it seems that this is Google making another play at becoming a monopoly and I'm not ok with that

0 Kudos