Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations


@JCLloyd wrote:

From this article (*- link below), Google is bullying Roku... not the other way around.

If this article is correct, I am personally against Google requiring that their apps get preferential treatment, collect more personal information than any other app, and require that Roku change its manufacturing practices in a way that its devices coast more than Google's competitive offerings.  Depending on how this goes, I may be hanging a Raspberry Pi 4B8 off my entertainment system (with a wireless keyboard/mouse) just to watch YouTubeTV.  I just bought the new $30 rechargeable remote, which is awesome for my 2018 Ultra.

https://www.axios.com/roku-google-youtube-tv-dispute-525316c1-4d66-44e3-a96a-40db7b10e05b.html

Everyone, take a deep breath and hope for the best. I am siding with Roku on this one, unless this Axios article proves bogus.  Google has been aggressively moving toward anti-trust level practices in collecting personal information and revenue generating ad targeting, more so since the end of 2019.  I have no love-loss, right now.


That's what I say. Do the research, before you dump on Roku here.  Google is known for inflicting their will on others. I'll dump Youtube TV before I dump Roku

Dude949
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

If it about manipulating search results as you say - Roku is already kicking you up out of YTTV when you push the voice search. Google not liking that aside, its not in the user's interest and is counterintuitive when using the app, which has a search function that gets bypassed.

I find it extremely annoying that the voice search on Roku bypasses the YouTubeTV search and takes you back the the Roku search and forces you to only use the YT search manually.  Now its Roku's hardware but I consider that a flaw. So Roku's box already OWNS THE SEARCH and steals it from the YT app.

If I were Google I'd release a branded streaming box immediately and kill the issue once and for all. Let Roku beg to keep things the way they are.

Bottom line is however, who owns the customer. When the customer mindset is "I bought a Roku so I could use YouTubeTV" you can't possible win against Google.

How many people think YTTV is an add on to Roku vs. the reason I bought it??

 

 

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations


@Dude949 wrote:

If it about manipulating search results as you say - Roku is already kicking you up out of YTTV when you push the voice search. Google not liking that aside, its not in the user's interest and is counterintuitive when using the app, which has a search function that gets bypassed.

I find it extremely annoying that the voice search on Roku bypasses the YouTubeTV search and takes you back the the Roku search and forces you to only use the YT search manually.  Now its Roku's hardware but I consider that a flaw. So Roku's box already OWNS THE SEARCH and steals it from the YT app.

If I were Google I'd release a branded streaming box immediately and kill the issue once and for all. Let Roku beg to keep things the way they are.

Bottom line is however, who owns the customer. When the customer mindset is "I bought a Roku so I could use YouTubeTV" you can't possible win against Google.

How many people think YTTV is an add on to Roku vs. the reason I bought it??

 

 


Youtube TV was the add on. I didn't cut the cord completely til after 2 years of using Roku

0 Kudos
Dude949
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Roku voice search bypasses the YTTV search kicking you to the top level and not letting you apply the voice to the YouTube TV search. That is very poor functionality.  I'd side with Google on that.

You obviously have not used the app.  It's not about Google restricting the Roku search while in the Roku app. It's about the YouTube TV app being allowed to have a search function at all. (unless using the manual arrow button remote - which is ridiculous).

Now Roku sends out e-mails to try to force this issue???

 


@CaptGrumpy wrote:

According to Variety https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

this isn't a money issue.  From the article:

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open.

In addition, one of Google’s stipulations in its renewal talks with Roku for YouTube TV is that Roku agree to future hardware specs as set by Google. Google’s Chromecast device competes with Roku’s streaming media players.

“ 'We are disappointed that Google has so far refused to accept our proposal to extend YouTube TV on Roku,” Roku said in the statement. “Roku is not asking Google for a single additional dollar in value. We simply cannot agree to terms that would manipulate consumer search results, inflate the cost of our products and violate established industry data practices. Google is already under fire from governments around the world for manipulating search results. It is outrageous that Google would now try to insist on manipulating Roku’s search results as well.' ”

This doesn't sound like the disputes with other streaming services, but Google telling Roku how to run their platform. I'm with Roku here.


 

KJSS
Level 10

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Just saw this.  Why do they have to be so f***en greedy.  Now I have to buy a new chromecast or something. 

StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations


@CaptGrumpy wrote:

@Dude949 wrote:

If it about manipulating search results as you say - Roku is already kicking you up out of YTTV when you push the voice search. Google not liking that aside, its not in the user's interest and is counterintuitive when using the app, which has a search function that gets bypassed.

I find it extremely annoying that the voice search on Roku bypasses the YouTubeTV search and takes you back the the Roku search and forces you to only use the YT search manually.  Now its Roku's hardware but I consider that a flaw. So Roku's box already OWNS THE SEARCH and steals it from the YT app.

If I were Google I'd release a branded streaming box immediately and kill the issue once and for all. Let Roku beg to keep things the way they are.

Bottom line is however, who owns the customer. When the customer mindset is "I bought a Roku so I could use YouTubeTV" you can't possible win against Google.

How many people think YTTV is an add on to Roku vs. the reason I bought it??

 

 


Youtube TV was the add on. I didn't cut the cord completely til after 2 years of using Roku


FYI, youre engaging with an account created today, whos sole behavior so far is repeatedly addressing this particular news story with a very specific pro-Google stance.

Regardless, this particular argument is moot - with a total of 3 million subscribers (which hasnt grown in half a year), YTTV isnt driving sales of any platform, Roku included.

0 Kudos
KJSS
Level 10

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

This was the email I got.

Dear Roku Customer, 

 

 

We are sending this email to update you on the possibility that Google may take away your access to the YouTube TV channel on Roku. Recent negotiations with Google to carry YouTube TV have broken down because Roku cannot accept Google’s unfair terms as we believe they could harm our users.

 

Ensuring a great streaming experience at an exceptional value is the core of our business. We will always stand up for our users, which is why we cannot accept Google's unfair and anticompetitive requirements to manipulate your search results, impact the usage of your data and ultimately cost you more. 

 

While we are deeply disappointed in Google’s decision to use their monopoly power to try and force terms that will directly harm streamers, we remain committed to reaching an agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, protects your data and ensures a level playing field for companies to compete. We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate your search results. 

 

 

Thank you,

Roku

0 Kudos
lindsayrae
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Hi,

Don't think anything has actually happened quite yet.  Just something that may possibly happen at some point in the future!  I'm not spending any money until completely necessary, haha.  

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations


@Dude949 wrote:

Roku voice search bypasses the YTTV search kicking you to the top level and not letting you apply the voice to the YouTube TV search. That is very poor functionality.  I'd side with Google on that.

You obviously have not used the app.  It's not about Google restricting the Roku search while in the Roku app. It's about the YouTube TV app being allowed to have a search function at all. (unless using the manual arrow button remote - which is ridiculous).

Now Roku sends out e-mails to try to force this issue???

 


@CaptGrumpy wrote:

According to Variety https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

this isn't a money issue.  From the article:

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open.

In addition, one of Google’s stipulations in its renewal talks with Roku for YouTube TV is that Roku agree to future hardware specs as set by Google. Google’s Chromecast device competes with Roku’s streaming media players.

“ 'We are disappointed that Google has so far refused to accept our proposal to extend YouTube TV on Roku,” Roku said in the statement. “Roku is not asking Google for a single additional dollar in value. We simply cannot agree to terms that would manipulate consumer search results, inflate the cost of our products and violate established industry data practices. Google is already under fire from governments around the world for manipulating search results. It is outrageous that Google would now try to insist on manipulating Roku’s search results as well.' ”

This doesn't sound like the disputes with other streaming services, but Google telling Roku how to run their platform. I'm with Roku here.


 


How do you know I've never used the app? I've been a subscriber for about 6 months, this time. Had YTTV before, but when they raised their prices to $65/mo from $45, I went to Hulu+tv.  I went back to YTTV when Hulu raised their prices to match. If YTTV goes away, then I'm back to Hulu.

I was using Roku for a couple of years before I cut the cord completely, so YTTV wasn't the reason I got Roku, it was an afterthought. Silly of you to make assumptions based on my previous statement. I think Google is too big for it's britches and it is all of our faults, because we let them get away with it.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Read the Axios and Variety articles. Google is bullying Roku. WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS ASSUME IT'S ROKU'S FAULT?


@KJSS wrote:

Just saw this.  Why do they have to be so f***en greedy.  Now I have to buy a new chromecast or something.