Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dude949
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Sadly this you are looking at this backwards. Roku is not looking at your interests only in extracting a revenue stream from Google. This is a Roku scam at best. 

JerK
Level 8

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

According to Variety https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

this isn't a money issue.  From the article:

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open.

In addition, one of Google’s stipulations in its renewal talks with Roku for YouTube TV is that Roku agree to future hardware specs as set by Google. Google’s Chromecast device competes with Roku’s streaming media players.

“ 'We are disappointed that Google has so far refused to accept our proposal to extend YouTube TV on Roku,” Roku said in the statement. “Roku is not asking Google for a single additional dollar in value. We simply cannot agree to terms that would manipulate consumer search results, inflate the cost of our products and violate established industry data practices. Google is already under fire from governments around the world for manipulating search results. It is outrageous that Google would now try to insist on manipulating Roku’s search results as well.' ”

This doesn't sound like the disputes with other streaming services, but Google telling Roku how to run their platform. I'm with Roku here.

Fine but if Roku turns off Youtube TV by their choice they should make the users whole.

Also I'm not sure how you do a search in Roku when the Youtube app is open.  When you go back to the Roku menu it makes you close the YoutubeTV app.  Sounds like BS to me. 

Give me the option.  Sick of Big Business and government taking away our choices.

JAT60
Level 8

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

This doesn't sound like the disputes with other streaming services, but Google telling Roku how to run their platform. I'm with Roku here.

I agree.  Except that at the end of the day, if I can't watch my preferred content on Roku, the Roku platform isn't of any use to me.  Hopefully Roku can find a way to make this work without making its users pay the price.

JCLloyd
Level 7

From this article (*- link below), Google is bullying Roku... not the other way around.

If this article is correct, I am personally against Google requiring that their apps get preferential treatment, collect more personal information than any other app, and require that Roku change its manufacturing practices in a way that its devices coast more than Google's competitive offerings.  Depending on how this goes, I may be hanging a Raspberry Pi 4B8 off my entertainment system (with a wireless keyboard/mouse) just to watch YouTubeTV.  I just bought the new $30 rechargeable remote, which is awesome for my 2018 Ultra.

https://www.axios.com/roku-google-youtube-tv-dispute-525316c1-4d66-44e3-a96a-40db7b10e05b.html

Everyone, take a deep breath and hope for the best. I am siding with Roku on this one, unless this Axios article proves bogus.  Google has been aggressively moving toward anti-trust level practices in collecting personal information and revenue generating ad targeting, more so since the end of 2019.  I have no love-loss, right now.

JerK
Level 8

I choose to do business with the 800 lbs gorilla.  Let me make that choice.  Roku, don't take away my choice.  Let me assume the "risk."

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@ZappedC64 

Yes, I would like more information on this as well.  The e-mail recommended, "We encourage you to contact Google"... but Google is a BIG company and we would really need a point of contact, an e-mail, a group, a division or something...  "contact Google" just doesn't work. Smiley Sad

If you go online and open the youtube tv site. Click on your avatar in the upper right and you'll get a drop box, where one of the choices is feedback. Click on that and a box will open for you to type your message

0 Kudos
JAT60
Level 8

@JerK wrote:
Also I'm not sure how you do a search in Roku when the Youtube app is open.  When you go back to the Roku menu it makes you close the YoutubeTV app.  Sounds like BS to me. 

I think the issue is that Google is asking that a voice search while using YouTube TV should only search YouTube TV.  I can understand that Google would want that, although it's not a reasonable demand given that Google is asking to hijack a Roku system feature for their own good.

It's also been reported that Google is asking for YouTube search results to have priority over other apps.  Both of these are Google flexing their muscle, and that's BS.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@Dude949 wrote:

Shame on Roku for trying to play this card. The only reason I (and probably a significant portion of all users) even bought a Roku was to ditch cable and use YouTube TV. Google is the 800 lb Gorilla, like it or not. The best strategy is simply to inform people of the details of what Google's policies mean and let them make their own decision.

If Roku believes that Google cannot simply build their own branded cable cutting box and bury Roku in the graveyard of corporate failures they are sadly making a fatal mistake.

I am guessing its about Roku trying to extort $$$ from Google with regard to subscription fee sharing.

Guess again Roku.  People buy Roku because of YouTube TV not the other way around.

So quick to blame Roku.

If you bought Roku only for YouTube TV, that's on you, not Roku. They don't have to kowtow to Google. According to Variety, Google wants Roku to make hardware modifications to future devices. More expense for Roku.

Before you **bleep**, do the research.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@Dude949 wrote:

Sadly this you are looking at this backwards. Roku is not looking at your interests only in extracting a revenue stream from Google. This is a Roku scam at best. 

Do the research read the Variety article. Google is making hardware demands. This is a powerplay on Google's part. Why are you all so down on Roku.  If you don't like it, dump it, but don't blame them for this. 

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@JerK wrote:

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

According to Variety https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

this isn't a money issue.  From the article:

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open.

In addition, one of Google’s stipulations in its renewal talks with Roku for YouTube TV is that Roku agree to future hardware specs as set by Google. Google’s Chromecast device competes with Roku’s streaming media players.

“ 'We are disappointed that Google has so far refused to accept our proposal to extend YouTube TV on Roku,” Roku said in the statement. “Roku is not asking Google for a single additional dollar in value. We simply cannot agree to terms that would manipulate consumer search results, inflate the cost of our products and violate established industry data practices. Google is already under fire from governments around the world for manipulating search results. It is outrageous that Google would now try to insist on manipulating Roku’s search results as well.' ”

Fine but if Roku turns off Youtube TV by their choice they should make the users whole.

Give me the option.  Sick of Big Business and government taking away our choices.

I'm just sick of Google trying to take over the information gathering infrastructure.

0 Kudos