Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCarmack
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

I have no reason to believe Roku is the innocent party in this after the nonsense they pulled with HBO Max.  Roku wants a cut of everything now on their Roku Channel, but hey guess what, I didn't buy a Roku for the Roku channel...I bought a device that hosted apps.  

If this ever does happen, this long time Roku family will be switching devices.  I value YouTube TV more than I do any specific piece of hardware.

jayceegee
Level 7

I have 4 Roku sticks in my home.  I purchased these a few months ago so that I can receive Youtube TV.  Now I may lose all the money spent and have to spend more money to get new streaming sticks.  Being a senior citizen and having trouble with all this new stuff -- what stick should I buy now ??  What is the easy one to hook up -- Amazon Fire stick ??  I basically only watch Youtube TV.  Help is you can -- Thank you. 

Simon2010
Level 8

I recommend getting a Apple TV.

jayceegee
Level 7

I will have to buy 4 new steaming sticks if Roku and Youtube split.  Question is -- which one to buy. 

lindsayrae
Level 8

I will say that I have a friend that avidly uses a Firestick, and she loves it!  Another commenter let me know that you just need to plug it into the HDMI port on your TV.  While that sounds super easy, I, however, have never tried it! 

deej1914
Level 8

I have 8 tv's, yes 8.  3 in my house, 2 each in 2 different Rv's and one in my garage.  All are using Roku devices. I am so tired of all this!  Networks have done this kind of garbage with Satellite providers for years.  The only one that loses is the consumer.   Remember when the customer was always right even if they were wrong?  Now it just seems that we are all on the losing end of corporate greed.  As Frank Costanza would say....  SERENITY NOW!!! 

FNSIII
Level 7

If ROKU looses YouTube TV....I am gone. Firestick here I come.

deej1914
Level 8

Yeah until Firestick does the same thing.  Its all a scam!

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

According to Variety https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

this isn't a money issue.  From the article:

"Roku said the dispute is not over economic terms, claiming the company is not asking for higher fees to carry YouTube TV. The crux of the spat, according to Roku, is that Google wants to prevent Roku from displaying search results from third-party services (e.g., HBO Max or Netflix) if a user has the YouTube app open.

In addition, one of Google’s stipulations in its renewal talks with Roku for YouTube TV is that Roku agree to future hardware specs as set by Google. Google’s Chromecast device competes with Roku’s streaming media players.

“ 'We are disappointed that Google has so far refused to accept our proposal to extend YouTube TV on Roku,” Roku said in the statement. “Roku is not asking Google for a single additional dollar in value. We simply cannot agree to terms that would manipulate consumer search results, inflate the cost of our products and violate established industry data practices. Google is already under fire from governments around the world for manipulating search results. It is outrageous that Google would now try to insist on manipulating Roku’s search results as well.' ”

This doesn't sound like the disputes with other streaming services, but Google telling Roku how to run their platform. I'm with Roku here.

Dude949
Level 8

Shame on Roku for trying to play this card. The only reason I (and probably a significant portion of all users) even bought a Roku was to ditch cable and use YouTube TV. Google is the 800 lb Gorilla, like it or not. The best strategy is simply to inform people of the details of what Google's policies mean and let them make their own decision.

If Roku believes that Google cannot simply build their own branded cable cutting box and bury Roku in the graveyard of corporate failures they are sadly making a fatal mistake.

I am guessing its about Roku trying to extort $$$ from Google with regard to subscription fee sharing.

Guess again Roku.  People buy Roku because of YouTube TV not the other way around.