Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdnetherlands
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

It is not a google issue. It is a Roku issue, they wanted to change the term & conditions. Google does not need Roku, and you better believe Roku needs Google and other companies...

We replaced all Roku devices with Google devices, could not be more happy. Never ever Roku again

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

@mdnetherlands wrote:

It is not a google issue. It is a Roku issue, they wanted to change the term & conditions. Google does not need Roku, and you better believe Roku needs Google and other companies...

According to several reports of the negotiations, Roku clearly says Google in fact wanted to change the "terms and conditions" by making several demands, including modified search functionality for the YT app when open, AV1 hardware decoding support (something its own recently released GCCWGTV doesnt even have), access to Roku user data, etc.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/#!

One might assert they both "need each other", but as far as the claim that Roku somehow needs Google more, one might look at Roku's recent earnings, market cap, etc.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mdnetherlands
Level 7

That is Roku vision, Google has another one. Market cap? Roku is a small company, and fully dependent on content providers... 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@mdnetherlands wrote:

That is Roku vision, Google has another one. Market cap? Roku is a small company, and fully dependent on content providers... 

Google has effectively conceded the AV1 demand claim.

I suggest you look at the (non-negative) impact the carriage dispute with Google (or NBC Universal, or WarnerMedia, or Charter, or Fox) has had on Roku in terms of earnings/stock performance/market cap.

Hint:  FYI, while Google itself is a rather large corporate entity, YouTube TV is a relatively minuscule OTT TV provider....

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
mdnetherlands
Level 7

You make me laugh.. Youtube (which includes youtube TV) has got a 25 times bigger turnover then Roku , comparable to netflix

Google a rather large corporate identity? Alphabet is the number 21 biggest company in the world...

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@mdnetherlands wrote:

You make me laugh.. Youtube (which includes youtube TV) has got a 25 times bigger turnover then Roku , comparable to netflix

Google a rather large corporate identity? Alphabet is the number 21 biggest company in the world...

Clearly you are confused/uninformed - the carriage dispute is not over the YT app/service - the dispute involves the YT TV app/service - which has, at best, 3 million subscribers.

I suggest you inform yourself, perhaps start with the article linked..

StreamerUser

JimmyGee
Level 9

That is Roku’s claim; Google claim says otherwise.  We don’t actually know what is really going on and none of us have ever seen the contracts so we don’t know what a reasonable ask from either side is.

All we know is that other platforms do not seem to be having these constant squabbles.

0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Level 9

The problem is that Roku always seems to be having a squabble with a content provider and as of late too many technical glitches.  We have no idea what the contract between Roku and Google stipulated.  

0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Level 9

Why is it on them for buying a Roku to view YouTube TV?   That statement is just wrong.

Roku said “give us your money - we can stream YouTube TV.” 

The only two that know what is really going on is Roku and Google.  Google says they are still hoping to come to an agreement.  Roku is saying nothing.

0 Kudos
Drewbab
Level 9

Youtube TV and Draining Batteries

A monkey off my back.  I am done with Roku.  I had 4 and have replaced all with Apple TV's.  Between the Youtube TV issue and draining batteries I will never buy or use another Roku device in my life.