Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdnetherlands
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

I think it is stupid of Roku. I will buy something else........

0 Kudos
MacMike
Level 8

@Panda_ wrote:

I was planning to buy a new TCL pretty soon (have it in my cart on Amazon), but may reconsider that specific TV now that it means I would have to also buy another Chromecast. I will have to do more research, but a quick search indicates there are many TVs that have Chromecast built in:

Oh my TCL is bad news IMO! You might as well just put up a ChiCom surveillance system in your house.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tcl-wolf-dhs-china-bashing

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@mdnetherlands wrote:

I think it is stupid of Roku. I will buy something else........

A multi-platform streaming strategy is a smart one - carriage disputes like this one are going to become more common as the market grows and more revenue is involved, so having multiple different devices available for uninterrupted content access is important.

Also keep in mind that not all apps are available on all platforms, and not all apps function equally on all platforms, so factor that into your purchase and usage decisions as well (if you want the best app experience, you'll need (at least) 3 different platforms to achieve that).

0 Kudos
NC1
Level 8

So what I’m seeing is do not do a factory reset or anything with your Roku device to lose the YTTV app or you’re screwed. 

This on top of the remote battery draining issue that hasn’t been resolved can’t be doing Roku any favors. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@NC1 wrote:

So what I’m seeing is do not do a factory reset or anything with your Roku device to lose the YTTV app or you’re screwed. 

This on top of the remote battery draining issue that hasn’t been resolved can’t be doing Roku any favors. 

I can reinstall YouTube TV. I don't use the service, but have tried it in the past. And, I was able to add it to a device to which it was never previously added.

As for the remote battery draining issue, I've never experienced it. So, it's not a universal thing, or even a "most people" thing. Any time an issue occurs with a small percentage of users (large number of people, considering how many Roku installs there are, but a small percentage nonetheless), it's hard to figure it out if you can't replicate the issue. That's true for everything.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BitWizeJoe
Level 8

I've had nothing but problems with my TCL Roku TV. Stuttering, out of sync audio, wifi issues.   Good bye Roku, hello Chromecast.

888jay
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV + Roku, not getting along

I agree completely. Keep search results local within an app, global from the Home screen.

0 Kudos
888jay
Level 8

Re: Youtube TV cancelling service on Roku

Hulu doesn't carry AMC (Better Call Saul), MLB Network, NFL Network, or BBC. If I was forced to switch from YouTube TV, I'd probably give AT&T TV a try.

As it stands, I don't think YouTube TV is leaving Roku altogether, I think they just aren't allowing new accounts.

0 Kudos
Panda_
Level 7

@MacMike wrote:

Oh my TCL is bad news IMO! You might as well just put up a ChiCom surveillance system in your house.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tcl-wolf-dhs-china-bashing

I wouldn't quote a conspiracy theorist as evidence of TCL/China conducting surveillance. Another article, which references a government report, debunks the claim, the flaws were not in TCL Roku TVs at all: 

December 29, 2020 Does Your TCL Roku TV Have a 'Security Flaw'? The Answer is No.