Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WilleyBear
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Google on this one.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Roku, but they get much of their revenue by extracting fees for the channels they carry.  We clearly not going to get all the information from either side about these negotiations.  I will just say to Roku, because of their lineup and cost, if I have to choose between YouTube TV and Roku, it is pretty likely I will go get some Sling boxes!

suzyhen
Level 9

@iworktoski wrote:

Roku needs to stop sending us e-mails about how terrible Google/YouTubeTV is... Google has what we want. If my Roku TVs no longer support Google/YouTubeTV, I will be moving on from Roku and never look back... and I will not be alone. Think through this clearly Roku, don't screw this up.

I never get emails from Roku. Looks like a Goggle issue not Roku. Try Netflix, they have good movies. Five people can share an account.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@WilleyBear wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Google on this one.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Roku, but they get much of their revenue by extracting fees for the channels they carry.  We clearly not going to get all the information from either side about these negotiations.  I will just say to Roku, because of their lineup and cost, if I have to choose between YouTube TV and Roku, it is pretty likely I will go get some Sling boxes!

That would be a very poor decision, considering Dish is shutting down Slingbox operations:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/9/21557578/slingbox-discontinued-servers-sunset

Far better to get a FireTV/Tivo/Chromecast/etc device(s) for $20-50 with current and continuing support and development of the platform & apps, including YT/YTTV.

Panda_
Level 7

If you already have the YouTube TV application installed, you are fine, it still works. If you get a new Roku device, you won't be able to install YouTube TV, in which case I recommend you get a Chromecast. I've been using a Chromecast for about three months now, after getting frustrated with slow performance of one of my Roku TVs (a TCL TV with embedded Roku) and I have been very happy with the features and performance (very responsive). I'm still using Roku on two other TVs, but since YouTube TV still works on those, I'm fine.

I was planning to buy a new TCL pretty soon (have it in my cart on Amazon), but may reconsider that specific TV now that it means I would have to also buy another Chromecast. I will have to do more research, but a quick search indicates there are many TVs that have Chromecast built in:

"Chromecast began to feature on TVs with the Android TV operating system in 2017. So it now includes most Sony and Philips TVs from 2017 onwards, plus many from the likes of LG, Sharp, Toshiba, Polaroid and Vizio."

0 Kudos
MrGRok
Level 7

Do not forget Google is the 1,000 Pound Gorilla, Behemoth, and Goliath in this dalliance. Google's parent Alphabet almost doubled its profits in the first quarter to $17.9bn.  Four-fifths of Alphabet's $55bn in total revenues came from digital advertising, including another $6bn from Google's network.  In the last 15 years I have seen Google act more like the Walmart of digital advertising and further broaden its hegemony over others as well as steer search results.  Google can afford to have some largess towards its partners.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@StreamerUser wrote:

Far better to get a FireTV/Tivo/Chromecast/etc device(s) for $20-50 with current and continuing support and development of the platform & apps, including YT/YTTV.

I'd add Apple TV to the mix. Some like the Nvidia Shield device, also, but I have no personal experience. Chromecast With Google TV is probably the device for that platform I'd suggest, unless there's a compelling reason to go with a more expensive device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tomel
Level 9

Interesting. I've gotten two emails from Roku and none from Google. That's even though I use multiple Google products. By the way, whenever I want to do a confidential search (rarely), there are other browsers and search engines readily available. By maxing my privacy settings on Google, frequently deleting search and advertising info, by limiting my presence on social media, etc., I feel reasonably comfortable using Google products that meet my various needs. For me, Google YouTube TV vs Roku streaming device -- yttv wins.

DBDukes

@Panda_ wrote:

I was planning to buy a new TCL pretty soon (have it in my cart on Amazon), but may reconsider that specific TV now that it means I would have to also buy another Chromecast. I will have to do more research, but a quick search indicates there are many TVs that have Chromecast built in:

"Chromecast began to feature on TVs with the Android TV operating system in 2017. So it now includes most Sony and Philips TVs from 2017 onwards, plus many from the likes of LG, Sharp, Toshiba, Polaroid and Vizio."

There are several manufacturers as you mentioned that offer Android/Google TV. How well they update them is something to consider. Maybe they'll update well, but I know the difficulty and delays in getting Android phones to update to the latest OS, and am worried that might translate to similar behavior on TVs and the Android/Google TV platform.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Panda_ wrote:

If you already have the YouTube TV application installed, you are fine, it still works. If you get a new Roku device, you won't be able to install it, in which case I recommend you get a Chromecast. I've been using a Chromecast for about three months now, after getting frustrated with slow performance of one of my Roku TVs (a TCL TV with embedded Roku) and I have been very happy with the features and performance (very responsive). I'm still using Roku on two other TVs, but since YouTube TV still works on those, I'm fine.

"Chromecast built-in" refers to the GoogleCast mirroring/casting protocol, not the Android TV-based platform/devices themselves.

An Android/Android TV-based device (w/Chromecast built-in) is not the same thing at all as a Google Chromecast device, though they are based on Android/Android TV, and may differ significantly in their hardware and other capabilities (such as application availability/functionality) due to OEM modifications etc.

atc98092

If any of your streaming is media from a home server, i.e. ripped movie and TV shows, there is nothing better than the Shield. It supported every codec, bitstreams all audio codecs, and will display any caption tracks. Transcoding is not required for anything. It also has a Gigabit Ethernet connection to make UHD streaming a non-issue. But, it's expensive, with the lowest cost model at $150.

While I have two of them, we still also use Roku in many instances. When I still used CBS AA/Paramount+, the app on Roku was better than the Android (no 5.1 audio period). I still use my Ultra for HBO Max, because on the Shield it might lock up part way through a movie. 

Unfortunately, in this world there is no one single streaming player that can do "everything". The Shield is the closest, but it too still has failings. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos