Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

@14Shaggy wrote:

Roku needs to know that I’ll leave them before I leave my YouTube TV

That is indeed valid. You have options, and we all have options. But your options should be what works best for you. If it's sticking with YouTube TV and finding a different platform (Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromecast With Google TV), that's the way for you to go. If it's finding an alternate service, whether priced higher (AT&T), the same (Hulu Plus Live TV), or cheaper (Sling TV, Vidgo, etc) and sticking with the platform, whatever works better for you is the way to go.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
iworktoski
Level 7

Roku needs to stop sending us e-mails about how terrible Google/YouTubeTV is... Google has what we want. If my Roku TVs no longer support Google/YouTubeTV, I will be moving on from Roku and never look back... and I will not be alone. Think through this clearly Roku, don't screw this up.

jeff-p
Level 8

Roku needs to understand that I'm tired of being put in the middle of their wars with content providers on who gets what from their platform. They were great when they were a pass-through device for other providers. Now it seems their business model demands they get more from content providers.

I had to go out on a limb to get my family to agree to switch from cable to YouTube TV running on a Roku - we have elderly parents living with us. Now it looks likely we could lose YouTube TV indefinitely. It took Roku 8 months to resolve their differences with HBO.

I'm done being a pawn in Roku's wars with content providers. I'll be biting the bullet to replace all of my Rokus with Apple TV right away :-(  Apple TV is not experiencing the same issues with content providers as Roku.

JAT60
Level 8

@DBDukes wrote:
whatever works better for you is the way to go.

I absolutely agree.  It's an individual choice.

The problem is, what doesn't work for me is a platform that doesn't carry the content I want.  In the last half year, I've had two streaming TV providers pulled from me.  Roku has a growing history of losing content providers.  I love the usability of Roku.  But if my preferred content isn't available, the platform's features are irrelevant.  There are plenty of alternative platforms to choose from.

Roku needs to realize that this goes beyond one or two apps, and sales of a few devices.  They're going to lose viewers over this, and future device sales.  I'm not happy to say that, but my choice is to be crippled in what I watch, or go elsewhere.

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@iworktoski wrote:

Roku needs to stop sending us e-mails about how terrible Google/YouTubeTV is... Google has what we want. If my Roku TVs no longer support Google/YouTubeTV, I will be moving on from Roku and never look back... and I will not be alone. Think through this clearly Roku, don't screw this up.

Dunno. I'm glad that we were informed. It's given me time to weigh my options. You do what's best for you, but I still hate Google's search manipulations. I'll change services. YTTV is a tool, but not the only one.

CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@JAT60 wrote:

@DBDukes wrote:
whatever works better for you is the way to go.

I absolutely agree.  It's an individual choice.

The problem is, what doesn't work for me is a platform that doesn't carry the content I want.  In the last half year, I've had two streaming TV providers pulled from me.  Roku has a growing history of losing content providers.  I love the usability of Roku.  But if my preferred content isn't available, the platform's features are irrelevant.  There are plenty of alternative platforms to choose from.

Roku needs to realize that this goes beyond one or two apps, and sales of a few devices.  They're going to lose viewers over this, and future device sales.  I'm not happy to say that, but my choice is to be crippled in what I watch, or go elsewhere.

Roku needs to realize..... everybody who's complaining about this, saying "Roku needs to realize".  You need to realize that Roku has taken into consideration that some people may abandon the platform, just like Google realizes that they may lose subscriptions because of this.

In essence, you have the 2nd largest tv replacement trying to dictate the policies of the #1 streaming platform.  >shakes head<

mediawatch
Level 7

100% this.

0 Kudos
suzyhen
Level 9

When going to google play movies app I get message that says "YouTube is your new home for movies and shows! As of June 15, 2021, the Google Play Movies & TV app will no longer be supported on this device,but you can still access your library in YouTube app. To learn more, visit g.co/help/movies-smartTV" Looks like google bought YouTube?

0 Kudos
jeff-p
Level 8

Google has owned YouTube for several years. Just more consolidation of their ecosystem.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@suzyhen wrote:

Looks like google bought YouTube?

Yep. In 2006.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos