Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

It's almost 6 AM Pacific, and YTTV is still listed in the channel store. If it remains there later today, I'll try installing it. I've never used it (and still won't subscribe), but we can at least see if it will install.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Thanosazlin
Level 7

Roku and YouTubeTV battle, Roku YOU are becoming as bad as Google

For anyone that uses YouTubeTV and has or has not seen this email from Roku read it below.. In Summary I think that Roku removing the app from new users and existing users (if you delete the app and redownload it) is turning Roku into the same monster they are claiming Google is below.. Roku you should just prompt the users when they download YouTubeTV app the concerns then LET THE USER decide if they want it or NOT, We Don't Want Roku making that decision for us. by doing this you are just as guilty and bad as you claim Google is being.  

Dear Roku Customer, 

We are disappointed to share the news that Google has chosen to let the YouTube TV contract expire.

While this news is unfortunate, we wanted to let you know that we are taking an extra step to ensure existing Roku users like yourself retain access to YouTube TV while we work to reach an agreement.  

We will always stand up for our users, which is why we cannot accept Google's unfair and anticompetitive requirements that would allow for the manipulation of your search results, impact the usage of your data and ultimately cost you more.

Our commitment is to always put your interests first and therefore we will continue to offer existing users access to YouTube TV unless Google takes actions that require the full removal of the channel. New subscribers will not be allowed at this time. It is also important that you do not delete the YouTube TV channel as it will not be available for download to Roku devices.

We remain committed to reaching a good-faith agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, honors your desired search preferences and protects your data. We hope to update you soon.

Thank you,
Roku

jfa5155
Level 7

Youtube TV cancelling service on Roku

If Youtube TV is going to cancel their service on Roku then Roku should go to Hulu and negotiate a deal to move over all Youtube TV subscribers at a discount. I would be interested to know how many Roku subscribers use Youtube TV. This could be a big win for Roku and Hulu if they play it right. 

atc98092

Re: Roku and YouTubeTV battle, Roku YOU are becoming as bad as Google

Well, if Roku told the truth a few days ago about what Google was asking for, then I believe Roku is in the right. Naturally, that was only one side of the story. Since I have never used YTTV, I have no dog in this fight. But since there are alternatives to YTTV (Sling, Hulu), it's not as significant as the loss of a channel when no other channel offers similar service.

Dan

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dyna66
Level 7

Re: Youtube TV cancelling service on Roku

If Youtube does become unavailable on Roku I will be watching a lot less on Roku because I don't like watching YT on a laptop.

DBDukes

It would be better if Hulu just did that on their own. Then they could offer "Move and Save!!" discounts to users of all platforms.

Roku should not get involved, as they are trying to work out a contract dispute, and need to maintain the high ground.

DBDukes

Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@dyna66 wrote:

If Youtube does become unavailable on Roku I will be watching a lot less on Roku because I don't like watching YT on a laptop.

You know there are other streaming services, if you feel you must have a live TV streaming service at all.

DBDukes

Note: I am not a Roku employee.
claybo6
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Dear Roku, 

I think I speak for all of your users when I say that we do not care about your profits or contractual issues. We do not care about your redlining process and we do not care about your legal team's interpretation of customer data privacy legislation. 

Roku is solely a method to access the content we want and if you fail to provide us with that access, we will no longer have a need for your platform. 

So, if you do not figure this out, we (and many like us) will no longer be a Roku customer. We have all of our movies purchased through Google. We have subscriptions with numerous Google products. We are much more tied to Google than we are to Roku and, therefore, will move with them should you not figure this out. 

So, with all sincerity, stop telling us about how you're fighting for us and just get it done. As someone who negotiates tech contracts for a living, I know that this is a veiled, and ultimately fruitless, attempt to leverage your users in a contract dispute. You don't have the leverage or loyalty that you think you have. 

Accept their terms and move on. They have our customer data anyway. 

Sincerely, 
A longtime Roku User
Tags (3)
claybo6
Level 8

YouTube TV Contract Dispute

Dear Roku,

I think I speak for all of your users when I say that we do not care about your profits or contractual issues. We do not care about your redlining process and we do not care about your legal team's interpretation of customer data privacy legislation.

Roku is solely a method to access the content we want and if you fail to provide us with that access, we will no longer have a need for your platform.

So, if you do not figure this out, we (and many like us) will no longer be a Roku customer. We have all of our movies purchased through Google. We have subscriptions with numerous Google products. We are much more tied to Google than we are to Roku and, therefore, will move with them should you not figure this out.

So, with all sincerity, stop telling us about how you're fighting for us and just get it done. As someone who negotiates tech contracts for a living, I know that this is a veiled, and ultimately fruitless, attempt to leverage your users in a contract dispute. You don't have the leverage or loyalty that you think you have.

Accept their terms and move on. They have our customer data anyway.

Sincerely,
A longtime Roku User

Tags (3)
jfa5155
Level 7

Roku should at least inform Hulu of the scope of the opportunity