Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvstevek
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

The email and associated topic are very real -- I'm in the media industry and have read multiple write-ups in trade newsletters this week -- BUT ironically never received anything from Roku!

It's a dispute over carriage fees and Google's insistence on certain firmware and viewer data tweaks that Roku's resisting. 

Here's one of several recent background / explanation articles:

https://www.nexttv.com/features/theres-more-to-roku-vs-google-than-the-usual-dollars-and-sense

0 Kudos
KJSS
Level 10

It is still there.  But who knows for how long. 

0 Kudos
Trudijane
Level 10

Re: Google eliminating U-tube from Roku?

@Tivoburkee wrote:

This is You tube tv which costs $65 a month that's being possibly dropped, not the Youtube channel which is free. 

Yes, I pay $65 for my You Tube Streaming Services; so it that is dropped; I don't understand what will happen to my server.  Will I have to get a new server such as 'Sling' or get another device such as 'Chromecast'??

0 Kudos
Trudijane
Level 10

@barryc123 wrote:

I helped a friend set up their FireStick, it was very easy and intuitive. 

I now have a 'Chomecast' device.  Just in case.  Do I just switch my Roku Device with my Chromecast device? 

I've gotten so used to navigating with the Roku interface; that this may create a problem for me!!!

ballfam
Level 9

This seems to be a relatively unbiased summary of the situation, if anyone is interested:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3617070/roku-vs-youtube-tv-untangling-the-latest-cord-cutting-carri...

0 Kudos
barryc123
Level 8

Yes, Roku has done a nice job with their remote and interface. I hope they work things out with Google, but if not I can tell you that the Chromecast and Firestick options are very intuitive. Transition is minimal.

suzyhen
Level 9

Mine works, I can watch You Tube!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@suzyhen wrote:

Mine works, I can watch You Tube!!

This issue is with YouTube TV, not the "regular" YouTube channel. YouTube itself is likely not in any danger. It's a completely different type of product.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KJSS
Level 10

My yttv works also.  But if the dispute is not settled it might not anymore.  For now it does but in 6 months it might not. 

0 Kudos
Tomel
Level 9

Got an email from Roku at 8:06 AM EST today indicating agreement with Google has expired. In a nutshell, the email stated that current users could continue accessing yttv unless Google cuts off service to them. No new yttv app downloads possible and if app deleted it cannot be reinstalled.