Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Level 9

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Hey all,

Never got any such email personally, at least I don't remember getting an email concerning this.  This forum post is my first knowledge of this situation.  It's possible I didn't receive it because I don't subscribe to YouTube TV, but I do subscribe to YouTube Premium.  Either way, Google, nor Roku have reached out to me in an email, or other form of communication regarding this.

Would like to see further feedback before I get involved just to make sure it's genuine.

0 Kudos
krth101
Level 8

I appreciate the many comments and insightful discussion as to what's transpiring between You Tube TV and Roku. It sounds as if this "issue" is much more complicated than what it appears to be on the surface. I am certain that both sides can endlessly justify their positions.

My concern lies with us - the subscribers, the consumer. I can only speak for myself, however I can assume that many of you find themselves in the same situation as myself. Deciding to cut the cable cord, tired of the rising costs, the continual interruption in service due to contract negotiations, etc. 3 months ago, I decided to purchase several ROKU devices after much research and multiple reasons. However one of the compelling reasons in purchasing ROKU was the ability to use this device in order to stream You Tube TV. Being a novice, and possibly being ill informed as to how this works, I did not foresee the possibility that ROKU could decide to drop a service such as You Tube TV or any other services for that matter. If you can drop one service now, what prohibits ROKU from dropping others in the future?

If this is true, that ROKU can change our viewing options at any time, their devices become essentially useless. This, on the surface may not be legally wrong, but certainly feels ethically wrong. The implied contract as I see it, is that ROKU is promising certain services being available in order to sell their product. I saw this as a good faith promise when deciding to purchase their units. If ROKU can arbitrarily drop services at any time, should we be entitled to some sort of compensation? However this is not about compensation - I simply want the services that were promised.

I believe one of the other posters on this forum is spot on. If this elimination of service comes to pass, I can imagine a scenario where You Tube TV, obtains a list of subscribers and offers us free or heavily discounted devices in order to retain us. 

I would implore both sides to come together and truly negotiate in good faith. Serve your consumers.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

@chuckeroo wrote:

With the recent Apple announcement of giving us the option to deny apps to track our use and searches, it will be interesting to see what Google does with that, especially since the Google tracking of Roku users seems to be a point of this dispute. As consumers fight back for privacy, this will be an ongoing battle between apps, platforms and consumers. We may see that to avoid being tracked, we might have to pay for an app vs it being free. Or we pay a premium fee to avoid being tracked. This is a multi-billion dollar business we are talking about and no one is walking away from that without a fight, no matter what Johnny and Susie say about their preferences for privacy.

It's not only the lack of privacy. It's also one company wanting to insert itself into how another to provide service. The article indicates that Google wants software added to Roku's software to manipulate search results.  That's just wrong, and a sign that Google is too big for it's britches. That's why there are investigations and lawsuits against Google's alleged anti-trust actions. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

@krth101 wrote:

I appreciate the many comments and insightful discussion as to what's transpiring between You Tube TV and Roku. It sounds as if this "issue" is much more complicated than what it appears to be on the surface. I am certain that both sides can endlessly justify their positions.

My concern lies with us - the subscribers, the consumer. I can only speak for myself, however I can assume that many of you find themselves in the same situation as myself. Deciding to cut the cable cord, tired of the rising costs, the continual interruption in service due to contract negotiations, etc. 3 months ago, I decided to purchase several ROKU devices after much research and multiple reasons. However one of the compelling reasons in purchasing ROKU was the ability to use this device in order to stream You Tube TV. Being a novice, and possibly being ill informed as to how this works, I did not foresee the possibility that ROKU could decide to drop a service such as You Tube TV or any other services for that matter. If you can drop one service now, what prohibits ROKU from dropping others in the future?

If this is true, that ROKU can change our viewing options at any time, their devices become essentially useless. This, on the surface may not be legally wrong, but certainly feels ethically wrong. The implied contract as I see it, is that ROKU is promising certain services being available in order to sell their product. I saw this as a good faith promise when deciding to purchase their units. If ROKU can arbitrarily drop services at any time, should we be entitled to some sort of compensation? However this is not about compensation - I simply want the services that were promised.

I believe one of the other posters on this forum is spot on. If this elimination of service comes to pass, I can imagine a scenario where You Tube TV, obtains a list of subscribers and offers us free or heavily discounted devices in order to retain us. 

I would implore both sides to come together and truly negotiate in good faith. Serve your consumers.

There is no "implied contract" - just real Terms of Use & Account terms and conditions:  Settings/Legal notices/Terms of use & Account terms and conditions

Specifically, the Terms of Use/Account terms make clear what they are in this case:

"Certain features, functionality, and content may be subject to additional terms, which will be provided to you at the time those services are offered. We reserve the right (at any time) to modify, suspend, or remove certain features, functionality, or content from the Roku device"

Google attempting such conduct would clearly be anticompetitive (pull app from competitor platform, subsidize switch of competitor platform users to their own platform), as well as braindead, considering the multiple anticompetitive lahsuits currently underway with the US federal government, most state governments, and the EU - it wont be happening.

However, your focus on how it impacts consumers is correct - consumers cant affect such disputes/negotiations whatsoever, but we can insulate ourselves from the impact of carriage issues with little to no interruption of access to content/services by employing a multi-platform streaming strategy (I recommend 3, one of which is Android/Android TV based for sideloading), with alternative platform devices available for $20-50.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
UpsetRokCustome
Level 7

Roku needs to get access to YouTubeTV back immediately

Within the last month I bought 3 Roku Ultra's for my home specifically to stream YoutubeTV. Tonight all of us lost that option because Roku is in a dispute with Google/YoutubeTV. Evidently Roku does not care about it's customers at all. Two days ago I received an email from Roku asking me to complain to Google about demands regarding privacy issues. I don't care if Google or anyone else knows my viewing habits. What I do care about is Roku providing the service to me that was in place less than one month ago when I bought these 3 units. Roku, quit your dispute with Google and take care of your customers. If not, I expect a full refund of all 3 units. This is ridiculous Roku. Fix it!

googleisevil
Level 7

Re: Roku needs to get access to YouTubeTV back immediately

my youtube tv is working fine. I am fine with a private company protecting the privacy of its users. I will be happy to switch to a different tv provider if google doesn't stop this nonsense. I am sure you can opt in to give away all of your data, but the rest of us should be able to opt out. STAY STRONG ROKU! google will cave!

DBDukes

YouTube TV isn't working for you? That's odd. When did it disappear off your device?

DBDukes

Note: I am not a Roku employee.
reodharlow
Level 7

YouTube TV + Roku, not getting along

Was reading this article about the spat between Google and Roku and thought I'd share some customer feedback (article: https://www.techhive.com/article/3617070/roku-vs-youtube-tv-untangling-the-latest-cord-cutting-carri...)

First, I'm a very satisfied customer having cut the cord in 2020 and moving from TiVo to Roku. Love the product and the service.

That being said, the biggest item I find annoying is the voice search. As this article points out, Google is asking that if, for example, you're in YouTube and use voice search, the results should only be for YouTube, not for all things Roku. Personally, I love this idea. 

Bottom line, if I'm in an app, I want the voice search to search only that app. When I'm in the main menu, then I want voice search to look at all the apps. I hope this makes sense.

KJSS
Level 10

Its still there but if you have to factory reset you cannot get it back.  Even if not there are updates you might miss.  Like netflix is installed on my wii.  But when I launch it says no longer supported even though its there. 

atc98092

YTTV is still in the channel store, so it's still available to be installed on devices that don't have it. Since I don't use it, I have no idea if Google has crippled the app. 

Dan

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos