Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku and Google

Share your thoughts with Google, also.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tomel
Level 9

Re: YouTube TV vs Roku negotiations

Been following this thread with interest. I posted earlier in the thread that if Roku drops yttv then I will drop Roku.

Decided to add a second post to this thread because of a lot of negative comments regarding Google and their anticompetitive practices, etc. I guess I don't get it. Google provides many services and products that I use and enjoy. Google would not have become what it has become without offering attractive product to the consumer. Too bad about the competitors who have failed to meet consumer demands. I do notice that most of the posters who are trashing Google do not provide specifics. Is it just because Google is a big company? Is it because they have failed to meet your needs in terms of product offered? What is it? Please be more specific why you, personally, are anti-Google (beyond the fact that they are "big business" and you simply do not like "big business" as a general rule).

Just curious about reasons behind the anti-Google sentiment. I would really like to understand some of the specifics.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube TV

Money is king. I've been able to get what I want a lot cheaper than with YouTube TV.

But, yeah, Roku -- and Google (you forgot that for some reason) -- need to work it out, simply so users have more choices, from the streaming services (for Roku users) and for available platforms (for Google's YouTube TV).

And, yeah, a Chromecast with Google TV is a good little device. Apple TV is a great device. Amazon Fire TV is good in most people's eyes (I think it's a lesser device than Chromecast With Google TV, Apple TV, and Roku). It's good to have options.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

StreamerUser
Level 20

@Tomel wrote:

Been following this thread with interest. I posted earlier in the thread that if Roku drops yttv then I will drop Roku.

Decided to add a second post to this thread because of a lot of negative comments regarding Google and their anticompetitive practices, etc. I guess I don't get it. Google provides many services and products that I use and enjoy. Google would not have become what it has become without offering attractive product to the consumer. Too bad about the competitors who have failed to meet consumer demands. I do notice that most of the posters who are trashing Google do not provide specifics. Is it just because Google is a big company? Is it because they have failed to meet your needs in terms of product offered? What is it? Please be more specific why you, personally, are anti-Google (beyond the fact that they are "big business" and you simply do not like "big business" as a general rule).

Just curious about reasons behind the anti-Google sentiment. I would really like to understand some of the specifics.

https://mashable.com/article/antitrust-lawsuits-facebook-google/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google#Antitrust

Is it because you arent aware of the antitrust lahsuits currently underway against Google, or that you think the US federal government, most states, the EU, et al are somehow all mistaken in their understanding of their own state/federal/european antitrust law?

Is it because you somehow believe it is ideologically driven, despite the fact that the lahsuits are from states/fed admins formerly and currently controlled by both Democrats and Republicans?

Is it because Google is a big company that meets your needs and provides many services that you use and enjoy, such that you arent concerned about any violations of law they may have engaged in to do so?

Please be specific as to why you, personally, are pro-Google and completely unaware of the multiple current antitrust lahsuits or past anticompetitive complaints/behavior (beyond the fact that they are a big business that makes products and services you use and enjoy and meet your needs).

Just curious about your lack of curiosity about Google's anticompetitive practices resulting in several ongoing multi-level government lahsuits.  I would really like to understand some of the specifics of this pro-Google anticompetitive behavior & lahsuit ignorance.

(Apparently "l a w s u i t" is now a Roku-community banned term)

StreamerUser
Level 20

@drrggibbs wrote:

I made the decision a few months ago to ditch cable tv and get youtube tv. I already had a Roku tv that supported youtube tv but the Roku sticks I used on two other tvs didn't, so I bought two new sticks.

I am going to be very unhappy if Roku drops youtube tv. I urge Roku to resolve this problem without a vague appeal to users to contact Google. They really haven't explained what the issue is about.

If youtube tv disappears I'll never buy another Roku product.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/roku-youtube-tv-google-dispute-1234960563/

The variety article makes it pretty clear what Roku's position about the dispute is:  Google demands 1) Roku modify its OS behavior such that third party search results dont appear when the YT app is open, 2) to have access to Roku user data, and 3) that Roku meet some Google-specified hardware requirements.

Google categorically denies any/all of that, and specifically denies 1 and 2, though interestingly doesnt specifically deny 3.

Regardless, it would be a mutual decision to not carry the YT TV app in the immediate near future, and potentially not carry the YT app later.

Even if you switch to another streaming platform/product, make sure you keep your Rokus handy for when the app carriage limitations/disputes affect that platform/product, but not Roku (and yes, that is already the case) so that you, the consumer, can keep enjoying any/all content with little to no interruption.

0 Kudos
emonagh1
Level 7

If you think Roku isn't big tech you are kidding yourself. Roku is not some small town operation and was originally developed in collaboration with Netflix. Its revenue exceeded a billion dollars every year since 2017 and their CEO has a net-worth upwards of 7 billion.

The only reason they do not want to agree to terms with Google is their ad revenue on other channels might (big if) be impacted. Google is attempting to become more secure with our data through single source and aggregation vs. individual tracking. i.e. advertisers cannot serve direct ads based on your behaviors. 

I am all for fighting for the little guy but in this case it is not a reality. The reality is they will be removing a service that is attempting to become more secure with data because it has the chance to impact their bottom line. 

FreezeFrame
Level 7

Google is forcing Roku to bend to it's power by demanding anti-competition!  Read this:  

On Monday, Roku sent an email to users notifying them that it might no longer provide the YouTube TV app due to Google’s anti-competitive demands, including the preferential treatment of YouTube’s search results. The row comes as Google faces antitrust lawsuits filed by state attorneys general and the Department of Justice.

Roku and Google are competitors in several sectors, including the smart TV content, smart TV operating systems, and Smart TV hardware devices. According to Roku, Google is threatening to remove YouTube TV in an effort to force it to bow to demands that favor YouTube apps; demands that Roku has described as anti-competitive.

Google allegedly wants Roku to create a dedicated row for YouTube search results within the Roku smart TV interface, a demand that would give YouTube preferential treatment. Additionally, Google wants Roku to stop showing search results from other content providers, like Pandora, when the YouTube app is open, even if the user’s have set another music app as their default.

The smart TV service provider has also claimed that Google has threatened that for it to continue providing users with YouTube apps, it has to use specific hardware specifications, like a faster processor and more memory. Such a move would increase Roku’s hardware price, closing the gap between Roku’s $29 device and Google’s Chromecast device, which retails for about $50.

“Google is attempting to use its YouTube monopoly position to force Roku into accepting predatory, anti-competitive and discriminatory terms that will directly harm Roku and our users,” a Roku spokesperson said when contacted for comment.

“Given antitrust suits against Google, investigations by competition authorities of anti-competitive behavior and Congressional hearings into Google’s practices, it should come as no surprise that Google is now demanding unfair and anti-competitive terms that harm Roku’s users.”

The email sent to users this morning says that Roku will not accept Google’s terms, as they are “anticompetitive requirements to manipulate your search results, impact the usage of your data, and ultimately cost you more.” The email was a call for users to contact Google and urge it to reach an agreement that would see YouTube TV continuing being available on Roku.

“We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate your search results,” the email reads.

0 Kudos
LookoutLane
Level 8

@Tomel  

When I agreed to pay Google for their YTTV streaming service, part of the reason I did so was that it was easily available on Roku.   I wrongly assumed that Google would not interfere with how the service was delivered to me since I was paying them for the service.  Obviously, I was naive. 

I don't know who or if there is a villain here, but it does seem that the consumer is being taken advantage of by a bait and switch tactic.

0 Kudos
chuckeroo
Level 8

With the recent Apple announcement of giving us the option to deny apps to track our use and searches, it will be interesting to see what Google does with that, especially since the Google tracking of Roku users seems to be a point of this dispute. As consumers fight back for privacy, this will be an ongoing battle between apps, platforms and consumers. We may see that to avoid being tracked, we might have to pay for an app vs it being free. Or we pay a premium fee to avoid being tracked. This is a multi-billion dollar business we are talking about and no one is walking away from that without a fight, no matter what Johnny and Susie say about their preferences for privacy.

0 Kudos
LookoutLane
Level 8

Thanks, Mary,  Glad to hear that.

0 Kudos