Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laguy442
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube TV app freezing after latest OS update

Jump to solution

Exactly the same issue.   Only happens on YouTube TV when playing something that is playing live.   Shows already recorded on the server work fine.   Works perfectly playing YouTube TV on my computer.  Have tried all of the restart, reload, etc tricks.  Only started this week.   If I were a betting problem, and I have no proof of this, I would bet Roku knows this is an issue and they aren't even going to try to resolve it.   With the ongoing beetle battle between YouTube TV and Roku it isn't a surprise to me that suddenly the Roku won't play YouTube TV properly.   Good news for Roku is I ordered an Apple 4k TV box and will be depositing my Roku in the electronics recycle bin soon.  This was the final straw with Roku.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I chatted with YouTube TV support and they admit it is their problem and they are working on it.

I asked for credit for days lost and they gave me 2 weeks free so definitely chat with YTTV support and get your credit

Tony12
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It happens on dvr'd replays and live television. It needs to be fixed. Roku also needs to get the YouTube TV app available again as I deleted it in trying to diagnose the issue and can't download it. Otherwise they will force me to move to firestick. 

0 Kudos
Ranbaldo

Jump to solution

This is just stupid... all rokus I have (4) freeze when playing youtube TV...  

0 Kudos
Bt155
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I also started having the issue of YouTube tv freezing on my Roku tv. I had issues back in September where the YouTube tv app kept crashing before it would launch. I was able to talk to Google and they were very friendly and opened a ticket and did resolve issue with an update. Because of that I ordered a Fire Stick as a backup. The issue was resolved before the Fire Stick arrived so I did not set up the Fire Stick. When I started having the freezing issues today I hooked up the Fire Stick and haven't had any issues with YouTube tv. I watched the first half of a football game on the Fire Stick with no issues. At half time I switched to the YouTube tv app on the Roku tv and it froze within five minutes. 

Laguy442
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku removed the YouTube TV app from their store some time ago as part of the battle between YouTubeTV and Roku.   The only way I know to resolve it is you can play YouTube TV from the YouTube app which I don't think they removed from the store.   On the left side screen menu at the bottom is a option for YouTube TV.   (I tried using this to resolve the locking up problem but it still locks on using that technique, at least for me).

0 Kudos
CableSUXXX

Jump to solution

Does anyone think this was done on purpose by either party?

Not sure who would stand more to gain?

Would more people stick with YouTubeTV & switch hardware or Stick with Roku & flip to Hulu?

Hmmm...starting to hate streaming almost as much as cable TV SMH.

0 Kudos
reodharlow
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Still freezes for me using the YouTube app. Ugh!

0 Kudos
kbotley

Jump to solution

Have we decided if this is an issue with the YouTubeTV app or the Roku OS  ?

0 Kudos
Spartanjak

Jump to solution

Had anyone confirmed that the freeze issue does NOT happen when running the YouTubeTV app on a Firestick?   I just connected an old Firestick (2017) that I have and I’m getting the same symptoms.   YoutubeTV will allow me to watch live TV for about 4-5 mins and then it freezes up.  If you exit the app and start it back up, same thing.  

Maybe it’s not isolated to Roku?