Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry6
Level 7

YouTube TV licensing errors

Jump to solution

I can't access YouTube tv from Roku.  It seems to have started within the last day.  When I try to access the channel, it gives error messages concerning licensing.  How can this be fixed?  Is this a Roku problem or a YouTube problem?  It angers me to pay for streaming television and be unable to watch the shows I want to watch.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: YouTube TV licensing errors

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you were experiencing an issue with Youtube TV showing a licensing error, we believe this issue has been resolved. We would recommend both/either:

-updating the channel by selecting the channel and pressing the * button and selecting Check for updates

-checking for a system update on your Roku device through Settings > System > System update > Check now.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Try:

1) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System updates/Check now - try again

2) Remove YT app, RESTART ROKU TV (Settings/System/Power/System restart/Restart), Reinstall YT app - try again

3) Unplug your Roku TV from AC power for 5-10 minutes - try again

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lifeguard
Level 7

Jump to solution

If you delete your YouTube TV app in order to reinstall in hopes of fixing the licensing issue, it won’t work. The app will disappear from the add channel list because Roku is fighting with Google. As usual, Google wants more money and all the subscribers are left without that channel  programming. I’m sick and tired of this garbage. We never got notification and my cable operator never did either. I got blindsided last night and was unable to watch anything. 

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Lifeguard wrote:

. The app will disappear from the add channel list because Roku is fighting with Google. 

That happened months ago.  And it won't re-appear until that fight is over. 

0 Kudos
kittslynn
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku had said they were allowing devices that already had the YouTube TV add installed and activated would continue to work but the app could not be added. It appears as of today even those users can no longer access YouTube TV. Unless they come to terms with google we will need to get an Amazon Fire stick or Apple TV. Sad.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you were experiencing an issue with Youtube TV showing a licensing error, we believe this issue has been resolved. We would recommend both/either:

-updating the channel by selecting the channel and pressing the * button and selecting Check for updates

-checking for a system update on your Roku device through Settings > System > System update > Check now.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Lifeguard wrote:

... Roku is fighting with Google. As usual, Google wants more money and all the subscribers are left without that channel  programming.

Reportedly this one isn't about money.  It's about demands Google is making before they will ratify a new agreement:

• Google is demanding that Roku turn over info on all the search requests you run on Roku, and not just the ones you run from within Google's Roku TV. 
  • Google is demanding that Roku give YouTube TV preferential placement in Roku search results.
  • Google is demanding as that Roku make changes in their operating software to accommodate Google's desires.

Roku finds these demands to be unacceptable.

Google won't come to an agreement without these demands, but they then turn around and make YouTube TV available through their "regular" YouTube app on Roku without any of these conditions.

Looks to me that Google is playing games and their viewers are the pawns.

Doug
Roku Community Streaming Expert  I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
JK1982
Level 7

Jump to solution

Following the advice from one of the online experts last night, I tried to delete the app and reinstall to fix the error message. Of course, once deleted, it couldn't be added back, and since I have my Roku units synced, it deleted it from all of them. You can do the work around and use YT app, and YTTV is at the bottom of the menu on the left...just a couple of extra clicks, but its still aggravating that these two are in this urination contest and its the consumers who are being forgotten about.