Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube TV help please

Hi, I'm new to using Roku since April 2020 and have not had any issues except for now when I am trying to add YouTube TV. We just cut the cord after being with RCN for 10+ years and am super frustrated that I can't use YTTV. I have a non-smart LG TV with Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810R). I have restarted in Roku and I have unplugged the Roku. I updated the Roku software to 9.3.0 Build 4172. Even updating Roku was very annoying as I had to keep on updating and it would update by a few percentage and then I would need to repeatedly hit update until it finally finished the 100%. When I try to install YTTV on the TV I get a message Channel install failed. Could not add YouTube TV. At some point I was getting Error 005, but I don't see that error code anymore. If I try to add YTTV on the Roku app I get the Add Channel Error message stating that the channel has not been installed. My iPhone Roku app is up to date. If I try to connect to YTTV from the YTTV app, the YT logo briefly comes on the screen and then the white circle just spins forever with the black screen. If I hit the back button, I can see YTTV. If I hit live and try to watch a show, the white circle spins forever again. If I select a show in my library, an advertisement starts playing. After the ad plays, the white circle returns and spins forever. If I try to watch a show from the Home screen, I get Playback error. We are experiencing problems with our servers. Please try again later. I contacted YTTV via live chat and they said they have to escalate the issue to their engineers. They suggested I reach out to Roku. I emailed Roku but have not heard back yet. I can't find a phone or live chat option with Roku. Please help so I don't have to go back to cable! Thank you so much.
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV help please

I can view Netflix from my phone and cast perfectly to the tv. I still cannot add YTTV channel using Roku on my tv. I have restarted Roku many times, updated the Roku app to the most current build (though maybe this is the issue and I can’t downgrade the update), and unplugged and plugged back in my tv, modem, and eero WiFi router. All of my iOS apps are up to date (eero, YTTV, roku). The only way I can access YTTV is casting via my phone. Once I cast and select the channel it takes up to 10 minutes for the show to appear. Sometimes I have to push the back button on the Roku remote, change channel, and select the desired channel again and the channel might appear within 10 minutes. The channel that appears is severely buffered and will freeze for 5-10 minutes. I can’t cast from my Microsoft laptop to the tv via Chrome. I tried restoring the Roku to factory settings to see if it would go back to the previous version. It defaulted to the 9.3 version build 4172. Now I can’t even add Netflix or YTTV to my Roku. @RokuTannerD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I tried adding Disney+ and GoNoodle and the channel install failed. These were all channels that I had before.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

So I used my iphone personal hotspot and connected to the Roku on my TV. Via the personal hotspot, I was finally able to add YTTV to my Roku and add back the other channels that I had lost. i unplugged my eero router, moved it from under a shelf to on top of the shelf, and plugged it back in again. i entered my wifi password into roku again to try to reset it and restarted the roku. So now YTTV seems to work with buffering once i've connected back to my wifi...nothing like what i was experiencing before. I can view for about 30 sec then it buffers for 10 minutes. It looks like there might be some sort of glitch between the eero wifi router (model 53-023205), roku streaming stick+ 3810R, and YTTV. My brother in law thinks it might be because the eero is a dual band 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz router under the same network so maybe the roku is getting confused? He uses YTTV and Roku with the TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router and he is able to switch his wifi between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz under separate networks. The eero seems to automatically pick between 2.4 and 5 Ghz within the same network. I don't have the option to switch manually. I've also found online complaints about severe buffering and inability to add the YTTV channel about YTTV and Roku after the Roku version update to 9.3.0 Build 4172. Someone recommended that a Firestick might work better than Roku with YTTV but reluctant to buy more stuff. I hope this setup continues to work but the buffering makes it impossible to watch. I have found some links online of others having difficulty between eero-roku-youtube TV. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience? Anything else I can do to minimize YTTV buffering? I want YTTV to work as smoothly as Netflix. I've submitted tickets to Roku, eero, and YouTube TV. Roku support has been minimally responsive.
0 Kudos