Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dale1425
Level 7

YouTube TV connection issues

I subscribed to YouTube TV several days ago and for the most part is working well. However, every so often when trying to connect to a channel it will sit there in a "Loading" mode and never connect. If I back arrow and select the same channel it then connects. It acts as though if the channel doesn't connect (Load) within a certain amount of time it just hangs there. I reported this to YouTube support and their initial response was that my Roku 4 was old hardware and I should upgrade to the latest model. I don't really buy that...  Any opinions?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
humanlabrat
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV connection issues

I bought both the Roku Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick +. Both are the best Roku has to offer. Neither worked for me. Major buffering issues. My internet speed is 20+Mbps which is plenty fast to cover Roku's speed requirements of 5.0Mbps for HD and 7.0Mbps for Super HD. Not sure why they were not working well. Roku has no support for their stuff either. I don't think Roku is going to around much longer unless get the buffering issues fixed.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"humanlabrat" wrote:
I bought both the Roku Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick +. Both are the best Roku has to offer. Neither worked for me. Major buffering issues. My internet speed is 20+Mbps which is plenty fast to cover Roku's speed requirements of 5.0Mbps for HD and 7.0Mbps for Super HD. Not sure why they were not working well. Roku has no support for their stuff either. I don't think Roku is going to around much longer unless get the buffering issues fixed.

7 Mbps is not sufficient for SHD, in my opinion. The lowest bitrate I've seen with 4K Netflix was ~9 Mbps, and was much happier around 12 and maxed out at 16 Mbps. Vudu perfers at least 10 Mbps just for HDX (1080), and am unsure what their UHD recommended speed is. With standard YouTube, I've seen 4K HDR material in excess of 40 Mbps, but that doesn't mean you have to have that much to get full 2160. I've never tried YouTube TV, but based on the standard TY bitrates I would expect that you need at least 15 Mbps for reasonable 1080 streaming.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tlsmikey
Level 7

I just purchased a roku streaming stick +.  I have 125Mbps down and I still have a ton of buffering issues on youtubetv.  Not entirely sure what's causing it but my signal strength is "excellent" according to the testing.

Anyone been able to overcome this?  Do I need to use a different streaming device?
0 Kudos
VectorGamer
Level 7

"tlsmikey" wrote:
I just purchased a roku streaming stick +.  I have 125Mbps down and I still have a ton of buffering issues on youtubetv.  Not entirely sure what's causing it but my signal strength is "excellent" according to the testing.

Anyone been able to overcome this?  Do I need to use a different streaming device?

The problem is with YouTube TV. I signed up back in February and everything was working great. The last month or so I've had nothing but problems: buffering and stuttering...
I can easily test this by firing up YouTube TV and watching the Phillies on NBC Sports Philadelphia. The video will buffer and stutter. I then exit out of YouTube TV and use the NBS Sports channel that is showing the same game and it streams flawlessly.
I opened a support ticket with YouTube TV a couple of weeks ago. Here is the response I received just the other day:

This is Kyrstin with the YouTube TV Team. I'm filling in for Joe while he is out of office. 
I went ahead and did a little further research in the issue that you are experiencing and it does look like this is a known issue. I have alerted my team and they are currently working on getting it resolved. I don't have an ETA at the moment when this will get fixed, but I know soon as we get a resolution, you will be the first to know! 
I apoligize for any inconveniences this may cause for the time being for your viewing experience. If you run into any other issues or have any questions, please feel free to reach back out to me. I would be more than happy to help! 
All the best, 
Kyrstin
The YouTube TV Team

IMHO they are having capacity issues.
0 Kudos
tlsmikey
Level 7

Hmmm. Not sure it’s YouTube.

I have zero buffering on my phone and the chrome cast doesn’t have buffering either. It has to be Roku or the youtube app causing the issue. Not sure which one but I hope it gets fixed.
0 Kudos
gsl24fps
Level 7

I am in the middle of a YouTube TV trial and have had every intention of subscribing, but the buffering problem I'm experiencing is making me reconsider. I have Roku Ultra. My speed is excellent, up to 200 Mbps, and I have no problems with any other Roku channel, but YouTube TV has stopped on me at least twice a day. It restarts Roku after buffering for about 30 seconds. Either this has to be fixed, or I'm canceling my plans to subscribe. 
Tool_Belt
Level 7

I have only had YTTV for 3 weeks using a Streaming Stick +.  I have had no buffering issues, 100Mbs download speed.
0 Kudos
msambrown
Level 7

Just started streaming.  Using Roku Premier and Streaming Stick +.  I am on a test for YTTV and am having buffering issues with just one of my Premier + devices.  I do not seem to have them on the other devices.  Not sure the problem is YTTV.  
0 Kudos
rcaraher
Level 7

Just signed up for YTTV free trial. Have Roku Express hooked up to my Vizio plasma tv. After using it for six days, started experiencing buffering issues. Internet, WiFi, modem, and router are all fine. Then I logged into YTTV on my iPad. While the Roku was still experiencing buffering issues, everything was fine on my iPad - no buffering. Hmmm. Maybe it’s a Roku issue! Also discovered that when it starts buffering, if I press the ‘back’ button on the Roku remote, it resolves the buffering issue. Sometimes it only takes one press, but other times it might take 2 or 3, but it still takes less time than waiting for the buffering to resolve itself. I’m also going to be purchasing an LG smart tv soon, will use it for comparison and report back in a few weeks.

0 Kudos