Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deafbowtie
Channel Surfer

Re: YouTube TV & Closed Captions

Jump to solution
For many channels, closed captions can be activated from the settings of your Roku device.
  1. Press the Home button. on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. To open the captions menu, select Accessibility. ...
  4. Select Captions mode and choose when captions appear.
0 Kudos
lalong

Jump to solution

After pausing, the Roku UP arrow worked for me to get to the settings options and then RIGHT arrow to the Captions option and OK to get in.  Then UP arrow to the Captions Off setting, LEFT arrow to the screen and OK.

0 Kudos
Lee1942
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

THank you.  Yes, that works and is how I've been accessing CC for most Subscription videos I follow. However, there are some videos that do not offer CC.  Why is that, do you have any idea?  Also, every time I watch one of my subscription videos, I have to reinstall CC every single time I open another one.  Just curious why this is.  I have one subscription that does continue CC's with each episode, but it is the only one out of dozens.

0 Kudos
BoggyMan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't think you understood me. Youtube doesn't respect MY settings as a viewer, not the content creator. I set my preference NOT to see CC even when the video provides them. CC is supposed to be an OPTION not a REQUIREMENT for the viewer. My global settings say DO NOT SHOW CC, and yet, they are ignored from update to update. 

It is clearly a bug. The CC's show so I exit the video, return back, and they disappear without any of my other input. For some reason, the Youtube developers don't do ANY BASIC debugging. This should not be difficult especially when people have been complaining about it for years now.  

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@Rouge2017 Bless you for this! I couldn't figure out how to set this up! The solution seems illogical in that it involves accessing options that appear to be associated with only one program -- yet it's applied universally. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
eshubym

Jump to solution

Thank you so much. Don't know how it got turned on, but glad it is off now.

0 Kudos
KB1000

Jump to solution

This solution is fine but has anyone figured out how to keep closed captioning on continuously? I’ve been employing this route for some time but you have to do this for every single video you watch (imagine using auto play - agh!). I don’t understand why there isn’t a toggle for “always show closed captions.” Anyone find anything like this?

Neeka
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

HI, I did what you suggest and the cc option is on "off" in the settings. I have tried every what I can find to turn them "on" with no luck. Can you help me figure this out?

TY

0 Kudos
Ginabell694
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Option is now gone since a change was made and they added a speed button.

0 Kudos
Neeka
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

OK I guess I need to look up what a "speed button" is? TY

0 Kudos