Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave2967
Level 8

YouTube TV Not Streaming on Roku Devices

I currently have a combination of four Roku Sticks/Express and one Roku SmartTV for a total of five devices.  Within the last week, after they all upgraded to Roku Software build 9.4.0 two of the devices (the SmartTV and a Roku stick) have issues playing back recorded content and live streaming videos.  YouTube TV will show the loading process and several minutes later the device will return a message that there was a playback error licensing the video.  I ran through about 20 channels on each device and received this message on each channel.

An investigation of the devices should the Roku Software builds range between 9.4.0 4190-13 to 9.4.0 4190-50.  YouTube TV build versions are 1.0 80000016 and 1.0 93000046.  Listed below is the information for each device working and failing.  Hopefully someone at Roku (or YouTubeTV as I have a case open with them as well) will be able to identify and resolve the issue.

FAILING DEVICES

Roku TV: 5318X
Sharp Model: LC-50LB481U
Serial Number: 2N0096718537
Software Version: 9.4.0 Build 4190-13
YouTube TV Build: 1.0 80000016

Model: 3600X-Roku Stick
Serial Number: 5S56D1092694
Software Version: 9.40 Build 4190-24

WORKING DEVICES

Model: 3710X-Roku Express
Serial Number: YU00EP739656
Software Version: 9.4.0 Build 4190-28

Model: 3810RW-Roku Streaming Stick+
Serial Number: YH00H5544097
Software Version: 9.4.0 Build 4190-50
YouTube TV Build: 1.0 93000046

Model: 3810RW-Roku Streaming Stick+
Serial Number: YH008L808419
Software Version: 9.4.0 Build 4190-50
YouTube TV Build: 1.0 93000046

Labels (3)
27 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: YouTube TV Not Streaming on Roku Devices

Just as an FYI, "4190" is the build number - the two digit code after that indicates the model.

Also as an FYI, YT TV routinely has issues with recorded content not playing (from certain channels), especially within a few hours of being recorded (after that 3-6 hour window its often fine) - and it affects all devices/platforms.

If you haven't restarted/rebooted the "failing" devices, make sure you do so and try again.

0 Kudos
dave2967
Level 8

I have issues with more than just recorded content.  All of the live streaming channels produce a playback licensing error.

I forgot to mention that I have already gone through various restart/reboot options.  None of the restart/reboot options corrects the issue.

0 Kudos
dave2967
Level 8

Update:  I completed a factory reset on one of the Roku sticks that are failing.  That did not resolve the issue.  Still unable to play any live content or library content.

0 Kudos
Zmartie
Level 8

I'm having the same issue. Both my Ultra on Samsung TV and my TCL Roku TV have had issues for almost two weeks. I have to cast YouTube TV from my phone to watch it. Today, YTTV started working on the Ultra. Still nothing on my TCL. And that's not the only app not working. I've tried all fixes I've come across. Very frustrated and about to find something other than Roku for streaming. 

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

Has anyone been able to update the 80000016 version of YouTube tv app to the more recent version offered on latest Roku sticks and Roku TVs build 93000046

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@Paddler77 wrote:

Has anyone been able to update the 80000016 version of YouTube tv app to the more recent version offered on latest Roku sticks and Roku TVs build 93000046

What model Roku do you have?

YT uses model/model-level specific versions/builds for the YT/YTTV (which share code libaries) apps.

Generally speaking, that build (80000016) is for non-4K/HDR-capable devices, and they wont receive newer/higher versions/builds (such as 93000046).

(those are reserved for 4K/HDR capable devices that have capabilities that the newer/higher versions/builds are coded for).

So you'll likely see another 80000xxx build - but you won't see a 91000xxx or 93000xxx build.

If you have a 4K/HDR-capable model, thats a different issue then.

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

I have 4k capable model TCL 55R613

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@Paddler77 wrote:

I have 4k capable model TCL 55R613

That's not a Roku model, thats a TCL model.

The biggest difference between the 80000xxx build track and the later 9x000xxx build tracks - at least for your TV - is HLG support, which according to the specs at the TCL website, it doesnt have (HDMI 2.0a, no HLG mentioned)

Without any HLG support, there'd be no reason to update your model with the 9x000xxx build track(s), which probably explains why it hasnt/isnt being upgraded.

You could test for HLG support (hardware/firmware) by using RMP (via UPnP/DLNA or USB) and playing https://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/  and      https://4kmedia.org/travelxp-4k-hdr-hlg-sample/

If either one them triggers an "HLG HDR" badge or otherwise triggers an "HDR" badge/mode indication, then your TV has HLG support.  If they playback in standard SDR mode the TV doesnt have HDR support.

If the RMP test does indicate HLG support, then youd need to address the issue with TCL/Roku/YouTube: lagging app updates on a Roku TV are a three-way problem to address.

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

Not 100% certain whether TCL 55R613 supports HLG. Even if it doesn’t, it’s apparently more stable and doesn’t have issues with excessive buffering or freezing.  Roku should allow Roku TV to update to latest Build. Apparently even low end TCL and Hisense TVs have 93000046 build.  It’s just poor customer support.  Just make it work.

0 Kudos