Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djwilso
Level 7

YouTube TV - Multiple users?

I just started the YouTube TV free trial. The channel seems to work pretty well so far.

How do I switch among different users or accounts? It is my understanding that YouTube TV supports up to six separate profiles/users/accounts, but I see no way to switch to someone else other than the primary user other than completely signing out and repeating the activation for a different account where you enter a code, which is not a user-friendly solution at all.

In the channel there is a section for Family Sharing, and I followed the process on the website to set that up, and now in the Roku YouTube TV channel it tells me that Family Sharing is active, but still I see no way to switch among different family members.

Does this functionality simply not exist yet and is planned for the future? In the regular YouTube channel, it is super easy to switch to different accounts and I assumed that it would work the same way in the new YouTube TV channel, but if it's there I can't find it.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
beq
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV - Multiple users?

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/youtube ... e-tv-roku/

Looks like YouTube TV is gradually rolling out the account switching update (YTTV on my Roku and Apple TV haven't been updated yet).

What's funny is that until this month, the regular YouTube app on Apple TV also didn't support account switching, unlike, say on the Roku.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

BTW I was curious about YouTube TV's support for multiple user locations, ever since they'd branched out from their mobile/casting roots and started making apps for TV streaming devices (which are where Vue and Hulu Live have restricted streams to just one home network location).

But like DirecTV Now and Sling, the YTTV subscription is not locked down to one IP address for TV devices.  So I keep all 3 services (that and the grandfathered pricing).

YTTV futher differentiates by allowing separate (sub)account logins, each with its own DVR, history, etc.  (DTVN also plans to support multiple profiles in some way eventually.)
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

From what I gathered:

We can share YouTube TV with 5 other family members, even in different U.S. cities (with each member seeing their own locals, or no locals if in an unsupported city).  This happens under the existing Google family group mechanism, whereby 6 Google accounts join together to also share a credit card, YouTube Red / Play Music family subscription, app/media purchases, and a shared album/calendar/list.

Each Google account in the family group can be registered for YTTV access in a separate home area (zip code).  Now, each member can travel and stream YTTV from other broadcast markets, but Google FAQ claims they should at least access YTTV from their respective home area every 3 months.

P.S.  I had to create separate Google accounts just for YTTV sharing though, since my family primarily uses G Suite accounts which don't support Google family sharing Smiley Sad
0 Kudos