Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

YouTube TV Low Resolution

Jump to solution

I have an older Roku player, YouTube TV was not working for me most of the day yesterday (10/7).

Sometime in the afternoon I was able to watch live TV, but the picture is noticeably blurry, dark & some pixelation. In the YouTube TV app you can have it show you the resolution, it is 584 x 480 @ 30. It is normally 1280 x 720 @ 60.

Why are they sending a low res stream to the Rokus?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV Low Resolution

Jump to solution

I experienced this as well on my 3600X last night.  The app was auto-selecting a resolution of 480, however I was able to manually select 720 (in the channel app).  It will be interesting to see if retains the higher resolution setting.  On a similar note, did YTTV support 1080 on the 3600X previously, or has it always topped out at 720?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I experienced this as well on my 3600X last night.  The app was auto-selecting a resolution of 480, however I was able to manually select 720 (in the channel app).  It will be interesting to see if retains the higher resolution setting.  On a similar note, did YTTV support 1080 on the 3600X previously, or has it always topped out at 720?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, that was it for me too. I didn't notice that the resolution setting had changed to 480p.

I don't think YTTV has ever supported anything higher than 720p.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

You might consider manually setting it for 720p for 720p content (e.g. ABC) and 1080p for 1080p content (e.g. NBC).  You need to manually set it once for each resolution level, otherwise only manually setting 720p will result it 1080p channels streaming in 720p (so make sure you manually set it once for each resolution).

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

My 55 in insignia with Roku operating system was experiencing similar blurry and very annoying behavior while watching football.

So found this post / fix, checked my YouTubeTV "Video Quality" setting  and indeed it was set to Auto, I changed it to 720p, problem solved. 

0 Kudos