Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dodgers_dfw
Level 8

YouTube TV Low Resolution

Jump to solution

I have an older Roku player, YouTube TV was not working for me most of the day yesterday (10/7).

Sometime in the afternoon I was able to watch live TV, but the picture is noticeably blurry, dark & some pixelation. In the YouTube TV app you can have it show you the resolution, it is 584 x 480 @ 30. It is normally 1280 x 720 @ 60.

Why are they sending a low res stream to the Rokus?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CA212
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV Low Resolution

Jump to solution

I experienced this as well on my 3600X last night.  The app was auto-selecting a resolution of 480, however I was able to manually select 720 (in the channel app).  It will be interesting to see if retains the higher resolution setting.  On a similar note, did YTTV support 1080 on the 3600X previously, or has it always topped out at 720?

View solution in original post

31 Replies
CA212
Level 7

Jump to solution

I experienced this as well on my 3600X last night.  The app was auto-selecting a resolution of 480, however I was able to manually select 720 (in the channel app).  It will be interesting to see if retains the higher resolution setting.  On a similar note, did YTTV support 1080 on the 3600X previously, or has it always topped out at 720?

View solution in original post

dodgers_dfw
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, that was it for me too. I didn't notice that the resolution setting had changed to 480p.

I don't think YTTV has ever supported anything higher than 720p.

StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

You might consider manually setting it for 720p for 720p content (e.g. ABC) and 1080p for 1080p content (e.g. NBC).  You need to manually set it once for each resolution level, otherwise only manually setting 720p will result it 1080p channels streaming in 720p (so make sure you manually set it once for each resolution).

mtbristol
Level 7

Jump to solution

My 55 in insignia with Roku operating system was experiencing similar blurry and very annoying behavior while watching football.

So found this post / fix, checked my YouTubeTV "Video Quality" setting  and indeed it was set to Auto, I changed it to 720p, problem solved. 

0 Kudos
Partime
Level 7

Jump to solution

My roku and vizeo tv will play yttv at 144p.  Blurry blurry blurry.  Anything higher it will not play or buffer alot.  Forget trying to watch a ballgame

0 Kudos
darnsnarK
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's so bad.  I feel like they are purposely pushing low quality video to the RUKU steaming app.  I already switched to 720P, which should be fair quality.  But it is just blurry and even non contrast edges are muddy.  Pasty faces and hair.  Switch to over the air and perfect HD.  Reminds me of what old tube TV sets looked like after HD first came out.  So muddy it's barely watchable.  What freakin year is this?  They are trying to force people to the stores to buy up those 4k and 8k sets.  Sickening.

Rockman8675309
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I have a brand new Sony XBR950H 65" TV. When I watch TV through an antenna I have in the garage rafters my HD signal is crystal clear. When I watch TV through my brand new Roku Ultra 2020 and the YouTube TV app the picture is blurred. I have internet speed of 100Mbps run to my Roku with an ethernet cable. I am using the high speed HDMI cable that came with the Roku.  I have set up each HDMI input several times. No help. Very disappointed. It is either the Roku Ultra or the YouTube TV app not sure which. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

@Rockman8675309 wrote:

I have the same problem. I have a brand new Sony XBR950H 65" TV. When I watch TV through an antenna I have in the garage rafters my HD signal is crystal clear. When I watch TV through my brand new Roku Ultra 2020 and the YouTube TV app the picture is blurred. I have internet speed of 100Mbps run to my Roku with an ethernet cable. I am using the high speed HDMI cable that came with the Roku.  I have set up each HDMI input several times. No help. Very disappointed. It is either the Roku Ultra or the YouTube TV app not sure which. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Make sure you manually configure the resolution:  in the YT TV app, start playing any content, push down twice, select menu (3 dots), select video quality, select 1080p/720p (do this once for each type of content: 720p and 1080p).

Do not leave it in "auto" mode, as it will reduce the quality to 480p with just about any network issue.

Kwgirl
Level 7

Jump to solution

StreamUser - Thank you so much for walking me through this!  My YouTubeTV started this issue about a week ago on one TV only.  After pulling down all the Christmas decos and stockings around the TV thinking they were interfering, I found you.  I've been a subscriber for almost 2 years - not sure why it decided to degrade my resolution now.  The machines are taking over!