Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: YouTube TV Freezes on Ad Playback

Jump to solution

Well, one month later and the same problem is back again. The versions havent changed. I have a Roku Ultra, running YTTV version 2020051914RC0.  (the RCO is release candidate zero.. oh boy). This IS the same exact version they had us update to last month.. there have been no changes in the YTTV app. I havent had one advertisement freeze until late yesterday - back to the endless spinning wheel of death. We can send people to the moon..... send cars into outer space.... cant get a darn streaming device to work consistenly.... unbelievable... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Danny- I have the same issue (with Hulu though) and have tried this solution twice without success. What next steps can I take? Using a Roku Express. My other tv with Roku installed isn't experiencing this issue.  

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@rpard 

Thanks for the post.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Danny if you have been following this thread since the beginning you would know YTTV is well aware of this problem. And it only happens on Roku devices, so it's a YTTV AND Roku issue. Rather than fingerpoint, your head engineer needs to get on Skype/Zoom with the YTTV head engineer and get the ball rolling on solving this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I think I've found a workaround for this issue. After the show comes back from commercial and you get the black screen, go down to the YouTube TV settings menu (the three dots), then go to Video Quality, and then change the video quality (i.e. go from 1080 to 720). This seems to get the video to start playing again. You can then switch it back to 1080 for higher quality if you want.

Not sure if this is a YTTV or Roku bug, but it's definitely a bug because there is absolutely no reason I should need to change the video quality due to bandwidth issues (I have very fast up/down speeds and have a late-model Roku with a hardwired connection). At least with this solution I've been able to consistently get back to my show after 5-10 seconds of changing settings, but Roku and Google really need to get work together to fix this problem. If I hadn't found this workaround I would have canceled my subscription, because YTTV had become unusable since it was literally freezing after every ad.

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This totally didn't work. From reading here sounds like thisnisnann I'll ongoing issue. It's frustrating enough that I'm thinking of switching tonanfire stick or a different streaming service. Please fix!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This did not solve it for me. I just completed all the steps, tried to pick up from where I left off (in not one but two different episodes that got hung) and it still does the same thing.  Repeats the same 2 minutes of ads and then hangs. 

I also tried completely unplugging the Roku from power source and plugging it back in. Same problem. 

I can confirm it is a problem with VOD as I have had no issue from those episodes listed as DVR. I can watch the episodes with no issue on a computer outside of Roku (just on YouTube.tv website) so it is clearly an issue with VOD, YouTube, and Roku. (I've had other VOD services with no problem so it is very specific to the combination of these 3.) 

It's a little disturbing to see this problem has been going on for a long time with no solution. :-/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Roku stick and I have the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I would say if you are still having the problem to list the Roku model number. 

We had this issue on 5 Rokus. Two Roku TVs and three Ultras. They have been fixed for weeks now. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I did what you said but it didn't solve the problem.

0 Kudos