Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV Freezes after Ad Playback on Roku 3

UPDATE: so today the commercial injections are at an all time high. It has locked up on me 9 times since 8am this morning on various channels.  I truly believe its the out of market commercials causing this mess - it happens in the handoff from the network feed to out of market commercial feed. Interestingly enough, it only locks up on the splash screens from YTTV that say ZEN or Be right back or something silly like that. Usually its a video clip of out of focus trees in a rain forest or an all black screen saying be right back. As always during testing since im home all the time now, i am running the laptop on the same channels... i can tell when the roku is gonna lock up because the commercial being shown in the laptop app differ from the roku device. ... boom.. locked up. so aggravating....

Highlighted
Level 8

If you check the Reddit discussions you can find that this has been going on for over a year. The YTTV engineer(s) have weighed in on those discussions so they have been well aware it's happening. So while some of you are frustrated after a few months of this, others like myself have been dealing with this for much longer. Tanner from Roku is aware of these issues, and while he is on top of other Roku discussions on a daily basis, he rarely pops into comment on this one. We'd all like to have frequent updates from Tanner on what specifically the Roku engineers are doing to solve this, and is YTTV even cooperating with them?? Staying silent on any progress isn't doing anyone any good and just makes us all more frustrated, and from the comments Roku is taking the brunt of the blame for not fixing the problem.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Thanks for continuing to share your experiences here. We are still working with the channel provider to assist them in investigating this issue. The teams are continuing to work towards further resolution, but I don't have any updates to share at the moment. As I've mentioned previously, I will be sure to share any news that I hear when it becomes available. We would encourage you to continue following up with the channel provider as well, to request any further information they may be able to provide. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and will continue to keep everyone posted as we know more. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV Freezes after Ad Playback on Roku

So there are zero fixes in the works? YouTube TV worked fine for us with another TV while out of town so we signed up. Now at home with our Roku it's driving us crazy. Is there a time frame? Anyone you suggest we contact at YouTube TV? I appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

@RokuTannerD 

Roku TV 

#YouTube TV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Maybe in the mean time you and YouTube could come to an agreement to drop commercials until it is fixed. We are paying for a service on a tv we paid for and getting screwed over by commercials. Gotta love corporate America. If this was costing the two companies money I guarantee a fix would come overnight. It's ridiculous that this problem has been occurring for over a year and can't be solved by anyone at either company.

Highlighted
Level 8

Update: So, I have determined that IF I'm watching from the buffer the lockups do not happen. For instance, I paused a live program to take a phone call, came back and realized there was about a 35 minute buffer from the pause. I continue watching as normal and skipped thru the commercials and alas - once i was out of the buffer back to truly live TV, the 2nd commercial shown locked up. Boom. So I decided to change channels and build buffer on another channel, havent had one lockup since doing this. Went to yet another channel, no buffer again, boom.. locked up after the 3rd or 4th commercial. Hopefully this one more bit of info helps the Roku team figure this out. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It’s not the YouTube TV that’s the issue. I am trying to stream one particular show on YouTube TV through my Roku. I have tried it on two Roku‘s on two separate televisions. Other shows stream fine but this one just sits and buffers after the ads play. And I have waited as long as 45 minutes for it to start. I checked the YouTube TV theory by accessing it on two other mobile devices. The show played just fine on those devices so it’s definitely specific to Roku and it’s something about the particular show. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My Roku 4210x Roku 2 also freezes following as playback during YouTube TV on demand or library programs.  It. Ales the product unusable.  I also have an Amazon stick which doesn’t freeze like this.  I’m ready to switch out all of my Roku devices for Amazon if this isn’t fixed soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Update: Not fooling with it any longer. Purchased some Amazon devices for my TVs today. Its been well over a year that this has been a problem and nobody seems interested to fix an issue that is perhaps THE LARGEST THREAD on the Roku community site. Buyers beware....

Highlighted
Level 7

Can anyone offer solutions for freezing after ad playback and deal with the vod and other particulars separately please? These freezes shouldn’t be happening regardless of the viewing mode, so why should it matter? I’m experiencing this issue at a solid gross mbps of 50/net 35. By the way, the ads NEVER freeze, only the program. Only solution so far is to back out until unfrozen, sometimes having to restart the app. Then have to watch the ads a second time, totaling 8-10 minutes per freeze! 

0 Kudos