Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV Freezes after Ad Playback on Roku 3

Using Roku 2 model 4210X watching VOD episode of Dave on FXX. 

Crazy this same complaint has been ongoing this long without a fix. As a loyal Roku customer it’s very very disappointing particularly given we’re all forced to be at home given current circumstances. And I’ll echo what others have said; when I stream this through YTTV on iPhone I have ZERO issues. I’ll expect a fix very shortly now that I’ve provided my specs?

Highlighted

Lets face facts. This seems to be a problem on all Roku products. They are not going to be able to fix the problem in boxes already in the customer's hands, without offering new boxes to everybody they already sold to. Not financially feasible. They will continue to do nothing for us and hope the problem just goes away as their boxes become obsolete. Roku doesn't give a **bleep** about owning up to the problem. Apparently customer service and quality are not words recognized in the vocabulary of Google/Roku. Shame on Youtube also for supporting Roku and having deaf ears for their customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Just to chime in, again, I too am having this issue on all my Roku devices. However, I don’t put the full blame on Roku. I have reached out numerous time to Google over issues/defects with YouTube TV, Play Music, and Google Home/Assistant Devices, and I even had an “engineer” reach out to me directly on a particular issue. My overall opinion, they didn’t care. They could duplicate the issue, but didn’t think it was that big of a deal, and said they have other things they are working on. Google is just too big to care about all their issues. 

on the other hand, when I have had issues with any of my Roku devices, I have been able to reach out and felt the level of care was there. I have been a Roku user since the “Netflix” box, and have been satisfied with reporting and fixes coming through. 

Blame here can fall to both, but if this is some sort of transcoding issue then Google needs to look into it. And honestly, odds are high that they might not even be looking into it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I spoke entirely too soon earlier. Evidently, YTTV was not injecting a different ad set in the stream. It has locked upon their "Commercial Break be right back" bump screen 3 times today so far.. on 3 entirely different channels. I am currently watching the Manifest series on SyFy VOD and its locked up 2 times in the last 2 episodes. So now I can say it locks up both on VOD and Live TV inserted ads from YoutubeTV. The ads that lock up are those that have the white square box, top left of the screen that say "Ad".

Highlighted
Level 8

Update: today its even worse. I have my laptop running the same channel as the roku on my TV. As soon as youtube decides to run a different commercial than the network broadcast - boom. the stream locks up. Laptop shows an entirely different commercials than the Roku.

I am able to fast forward beyond that commercial (usually 30-60 secs) and it to starts working again. I have video of the exact sequence recorded with my phone. I have 6 different lockups video'd today so far if anyone from Roku is interested to see how/when it happens. I also enabled geekstats that are also visible in my videos.

Highlighted
Level 9

Yeah, good luck with getting Roku to investigate this. I've been banging my head against the wall for almost 4 months now over this. Roku couldn't care less. I've since thrown out my Roku sticks and replaced them with Amazon Fire sticks. The Fire stick interface sucks balls, but at least it works! No issues there. I tell everyone I see in Best Buy looking at the Roku about the issues and they all put them back on the shelf and buy the Fire stick instead.

Roku support throws a post up here under the support person called Tanner, but they really don't care about us. They have our money already and couldn't care less!

Highlighted
Level 8

It's the Youtube TV app on the Roku that's causing the problem so you need to contact Youtube TV, not Roku.  By the way, from the Youtube TV app you can provide feedback to Youtube TV by doing the following:  Click on your icon on the upper right corner of the Youtube TV screen, select Send feedback, select Video playback, select my video is freezing, buffering or restarting, make sure Include logs is selected, submit.

Also, when my screen freezes, I have waited instead of pressing the Roku home key to restart, and the last two times it eventually started again after a few minutes.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have a great idea.  How about Roku contact Google YTTV to get this fixed instead of end users getting put it the middle of two very large companies in order to solve a compatibility issue?

Since the app runs on Roku, one would assume that Roku has some kind of quality standard in order to have the app listed.  If not, well, that's a scary thought.  These devices are generally running on your home network.

Highlighted
Level 8

I have previously submitted dozens of these. I never hear anything back from Youtube. I have initiated the chat online and they only tell me the noob basics to try... 'reboot it' 'reset your network' 'clap your hands and sing hari krishna' 'click your heels together 3 times'. They even offer a credit of 2 weeks or so. I dont care about the credit... So frustrating when you pay so much money for this stuff....

Highlighted
Level 8

First encountered this problem in Jan 2020 and two months later it is still and issue.  I contacted YTTV and they had me reinstalled their app. On a nightly basis, I reboot modem, router and roku but the problem with video playback for VOD and recorded shows continues almost daily.   I am tempted to switch back to spectrum cable but since I am a Florida snowbird I may just cancel everything until my return later this year.  Many people seem to have the same issue and I do not know why a solution cannot be found or if it is even being worked on.